Writer at Future plc
- Full time
In 2019, Future acquired SmartBrief, a leading digital B2B publisher of targeted business news and information. Serving more than 6 million senior executives, thought leaders, and industry professionals, SmartBrief filters thousands of sources daily to deliver the most relevant industry news in partnership with more than 180 trade associations, professional societies, nonprofits and corporate entities. SmartBrief focuses on enriching our audience’s lives through the delivery of pertinent news and content, and we are really excited about the partnership and the continued growth of our B2B media offering.
SmartBrief is seeking a full-time writer to curate and write e-mail newsletters that summarize news about health care and the life sciences for a B2B audience. Candidates would need to be available to start work as early as 5 a.m. ET Monday through Friday.
Qualified candidates must have a news background with experience writing technical content for professionals in health care, pharmaceuticals, health IT or medical technology. Candidates must have written professionally for at least 2-5 years or equivalent mix of writing and editing. Speed, accuracy, news judgment and comfort with the basics of science writing are essential to this role.
The ideal candidate will be ready to become a known and trusted expert on the trends and topics important to health care and life sciences readers today. Experience with editing, developing new publications and working with external clients will help strong candidates stand out for future opportunities.
Candidates also need to demonstrate an ability to maintain positive relationships with clients (directly or through work behind the scenes), by bringing a collaborative, flexible, communicative attitude and a willingness to take responsibility for and ownership of content. They must have the ability to independently manage their time amid tight deadlines and sometimes competing priorities. And they must work well as part of a team, including pitching in when there is a need and trying new things when opportunities arise.
Applicants will be asked to complete a writing test and to submit 3-5 samples of original writing. This is a remote position.
What will be expected of me?
- Scour the internet using internal and external research tools to curate e-newsletters with the most important news of the day for a given audience.
- Write clean, clear, short, original news summaries of stories, with an eye toward what is most interesting and relevant to the newsletter audience.
- Edit e-newsletters as needed.
- Assist with or lead development and execution of content strategy for new e-newsletters and other content.
- Meet deadlines as given and manage multiple deadlines or projects as needed.
- Occasionally produce original content/reporting on health care and life sciences topics.
- Proven experience in Newswriting and/or editing experience covering health care or life sciences news
- Sophisticated understanding of how to find news and information on the web.
- Proven writing and editing skills and comfort with using online publishing tools.
- Ability to write and edit quickly and accurately on deadline which may require early work hours
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees (when we get back to the office)
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!