Vice President of Legal at Homebound
VP of Legal
- Remote, USA
Homebound’s mission is to create a better way to build homes, leveraging technology to make custom homebuilding simpler and more transparent. We’re delivering on that promise in places that have been impacted by natural disasters, and now we’re expanding to help families across the country build the perfect home.
With a better labor model, a more efficient building process, and a delightful homeowner experience, Homebound is transforming the single-family home market. The Homebound team includes in-house designers, architects, insurance experts, legal counsel, construction managers, and developers — all of whom have come together to improve custom homebuilding as a whole.
We are already helping hundreds of homeowners across California, Texas, and The Bahamas, and we are ready to scale to help hundreds more. Join us!
Homebound is looking for a VP of Legal who will be responsible for leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal initiatives at the intersection of technology and construction and strategically managing risk for the Company. This role reports to the CFO and is considered to be highly cross-functional and will support initiatives across Growth and Operations. You must have the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment and work collaboratively. Your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, risk management, product and go-to-market strategies for our entire business.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide strategic counseling and advice to enable growth
- Navigate a complex landscape to help design innovative construction and consumer-facing products and services.
- Anticipating unique legal issues and “blind spots” that could have a material impact on the company’s compliance and risk management
- Manage and advise on corporate governance, global expansion, compliance, IP, insurance, commercial agreements, employment law, regulatory matters, risk management, and general contract management
- Own and manage all outside counsel relationships and Legal budget
- Build the risk management and compliance functions from the ground up
- Assist company in executing on various strategic priorities, including VC and institutional investor fundraising and potential exit paths down the road
- Be a driver of the business by serving as strategic partner in defining and developing the company’s go-to-market and product roadmaps
What You Have:
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 5+ years experience as a practicing attorney at a top-tier law firm
- Operating Experience (2-3+ years) working with technology companies, preferably startups is preferred
- Experience building functions from scratch
- Experience leading projects with cross-functional stakeholders
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and providing practical, risk-based guidance
Who You Are:
- Out-of-the-box thinker who can solve any problem you put in front of them
- Finds joy in executing relentlessly
- Continuous optimizer – always looking for ways to make things better, faster, more efficient
- Humble, tenacious, and sees opportunity in challenges and ambiguity
- Laser-focused on enabling the business to move faster and more efficiently
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Homebound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Homebound considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!