UX Researcher at Kraken
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. In our first decade, Kraken has risen to become one of the largest, most successful and respected crypto exchanges on the planet.
We are changing the way the world thinks about finance and our range of successful products are playing a critical role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We continue to trail-blaze into new territory with the introduction of Kraken Bank, providing a more seamless integration between crypto and the traditional financial system. This makes us the first crypto company (ever) to be awarded a U.S. state banking charter.
Our diverse group of 2,000+ Krakenites are distributed all over the world as part of our ‘remote first’ culture, united by a shared passion for delighting customers, upholding crypto values and achieving our meaningful mission. We attract people who push themselves to improve, are radically transparent and think differently in order to unlock their potential.
Crypto is a rapidly evolving industry and we’re just getting started. We’re growing fast and you’re invited to join the revolution!
About the role
We’re looking for experienced, well-rounded UX researchers of all levels to help us explore, understand and reinvent everything from the way money works to a bunch of even more ambitious things we can’t talk about yet — inquisitive, independent explorers who believe in a tomorrow where cryptocurrency spreads wealth inclusively and enables new forms of creativity.
We’re not building a bank. We’re building an adventure. One that requires people who aren’t afraid to cast aside established ways of doing things to create delightful, inclusive experiences for customers across 170+ countries.
Throughout the history of civilization, there have been a handful of moments that changed the course of how we think about wealth and equality. The discovery of gold, the creation of paper money, mortgages, ATMs. We’re at the next of those moments right now, and there is no more exciting place to invest your research skills than directly at this intersection of technology and adventure.
By joining the UX Research Team at Kraken you will play an important part in shaping the future of how the world sees and uses digital currency. UX research is fundamental in helping us understand how we can serve our clients needs and delight them along the way. By joining our team you will help to discover and define those needs and work cross-functionally to help teams to meet and exceed them.
We’re looking for UX researchers who are resolute about making sure their research makes a positive impact. Researchers who are experienced, well-rounded, passionate and meticulous.
The UX Research Team is a small team within a fast-paced company, so the ideal candidate will need to be comfortable to hit the ground running. We’re also a relatively new function, so you will play a part in shaping our team’s imprint.
What you’ll do
- Use an extensive repertoire of exploratory and evaluative qualitative and quantitative research methods to help build a rich understanding of our clients and future clients
- Identify the unbridged knowledge gaps, frictions and high-risk assumptions across different product areas and deliver research insight to speak to those
- Work closely with Design and Product to ensure that we build things in intuitive, smart ways
- Strategically lead the development of standards, processes and guidelines that clarify expectations for the UX Research Team
- Mentor, influence and coach other researchers
- Collaborate cross-functionally using strong communication, written and facilitation skills to ensure the UX Research Team’s output empowers Krakenites and helps them to feel confident about their work
- Act as the voice of our clients and make sure that we’re constantly solving real problems for them while delivering high quality, delightful experiences
- Support Krakenites across multiple teams as a research partner, identifying where research can be most helpful, most impactful and where research is not the appropriate response to a problem
- Support Krakenites in self-serving to the point that they can conduct their own lightweight evaluative research while educating peers in research methodologies and helping to evangelise across the company
What we look for
- Broad in-depth professional experience as a UX researcher with a portfolio that demonstrates expansive past work experience and deliverables
- Ability to conceptualise, scope and execute research studies with speed, dexterity and scale, along with the ability to adapt quickly to change
- Ability to present and showcase findings and the value of UX research to the Design and Product teams along with the wider org
- Strong grasp of User-Centered Design principles
- Strong passion for Bitcoin and the cryptocurrency movement with a desire to make the best trading platform in the world
- Ability to receive constructive criticism and use it to improve the end result
- Informed about current and emerging trends in crypto, FinTech, product development, trends in UX research and design
- Be a team player, take initiative and ownership of responsibilities and deliverables
- Excellent communicator (verbal and written), presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; requires the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research
- Background in cognitive science, behavioral economics, anthropology, sociology or psychology nice-to-have but by no means essential
You should apply if
- You’re passionate about creating best-in-class products and services that play a key role in shaping the future of how the world sees and uses digital currency
- You’re passionate about advocating for users
- You’ve used research to make a demonstrably positive impact on the direction of features, products and services in the past
- You know how to balance robust study design and research rigour with the characteristics of a fast-paced environment
- You only close a project when you know that your research has helped the team you’re supporting to make better, more informed decisions
- You’re comfortable contextualizing and prioritizing insights for stakeholders, and you love brining insights to life with compelling research reports and presentations
- You understand the importance of setting up research in a collaborative, democratising way so that teams can join in with the process
- You’re well versed in choosing the research method that best answers the question
- You are concerned with building accessible products and services and know how to design research studies that supports this
- You know how to bring together different sources of insight – such as analytics data – to provide a rounded picture of the subject under observation
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique and diverse experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives, regardless of their background.
As an equal opportunity employer we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.