Product Designer (UI/UX)
Remote (Anywhere in the US)
Product Designers at Treehouse actively engage in delivering quality Design within Engineering. They demonstrate sound judgment in regard to foundational design principles and use them to consistently deliver projects inside the product roadmap. They are able to identify designs that work and don’t work, and do so to help further the Treehouse applications. They are curious: desiring to uncover the true root of problems and work on solutions for them.
Design – Demonstrates and understands the fundamental principles for the layout, visual hierarchy, aesthetics, and typography as it pertains to the Treehouse platforms and brand.
- Process – Demonstrates and contributes to our inclusive, transparent, and intentional design processes that includes project definition, identifying solutions to problem in projects, setting clear objectives, iterating on concepts, facilitating critique & feedback, building out front-end code, shipping to production, and continual learning.
- Design Language – Uses and demonstrates knowledge of Treehouse’s Design language. Understands the underlying objectives and principles that guide our design language across platforms and at the same time has experience with its shortcomings. Demonstrates judgment around when to use existing patterns and when to introduce new ones. Contributes to our style guide to maintain a consistent UI/UX. Takes ownership of the Treehouse student experience in their focus area and works to deliver solutions that are thoughtful and will scale.
- Code – Follows our front end coding guidelines. Implements projects inside our code base that scale and help further Treehouse Engineering’s mission to design, build, and maintain the best online learning service in the world.
Brand – Works with Treehouse Marketing & Engineering Leadership to maintain a cohesive and holistic vision of Treehouse that spans our products, platforms, outlets, and departments with consideration for the company’s future.
- Transparency – Shares work early & often and uses a process to ensure their work is out in the open. Actively seeks out feedback and critique (at least once a week through InVision and twice a week in design critiques) from teammates, stakeholders, and other designers. Presents work and can actively prioritize and filter feedback.
- Communication – Communicates with Stakeholders & Engineers in their language, designing with consideration for their concerns and cares. Fosters a highly inclusive and collaborative design process, and as a result is trusted by the company to talk through both the scope and challenges of projects while negotiating thoughtful design outcomes.
Deliver Results – Executes on self directed work related to the team’s iteration commitments.
Solve Problems – Does independent information gathering and problem solving. Is skilled at root cause analysis.
Leadership – Sphere of influence impacts their immediate project team. Takes initiative within projects to tackle moderately difficult challenges and offers support to team members when needed. May occasionally be expected to lead team project planning and retrospectives.
Professional Growth of Self and Others – Continuously works to self-educate about new practices and ideas in design, software development, leadership, and other applicable topics. Mentors others as needed.
Bring Trust and Dependability – Consistently meets commitments for their own work deliverables. Provides accurate and consistent work status and effort estimates. May occasionally lead small projects and initiatives related to their team’s project work. Effectively communicates and partners with team members and manager to achieve individual, project, and team goals. Effectively works in a distributed team environment. Demonstrates the ability to adapt as the external environment and organization evolves.
Live Treehouse Mission and Values – Actively demonstrates the Treehouse Mission and Values in their daily work life.
- 3 years (or equivalent) design experience, some in product design
- Sound judgment and instincts in regard to product design
- Appreciates design processes and how they benefit projects and end results
- Familiar with the fundamental principles for layout, visual hierarchy, aesthetics, and typography
- Experience with modern visual design tools (Sketch, Adobe CC, etc.)
- Experience with using tools such as InVision or Sketch – Cloud to share wireframes and mockups for feedback and testing
- Experience with HTML & Sass, including best practices for responsive design and accessibility
- Experience collaborating with other developers to write front-end code with frameworks like Ruby on Rails
- Experience with testing websites for cross-browser compatibility
- Basic knowledge of Git and GitHub
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interface in a transparent way with an entirely remote team
- Ability to work and collaborate within cross disciplined teams
- Experience in an agile team environment & process
- Willingness to work directly with stakeholders to meet business objectives
In addition to joining a fun and innovative company and working in a team-centered, flexible workplace, you’ll enjoy the following:
- Healthcare: Full coverage for medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- PTO: 3+ weeks PTO, federal holidays, and 1 week off in late December
- Retirement: 401(k) contribution match – Dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of your salary
- Continued Learning: $1,500 annual education budget (conferences, books, classes, etc.)
- Friends & Family: Share Treehouse learning with the ones you love
- Paid parental leave
- Wellness Allowance
Treehouse is an online technology school that has helped over 850,000 students. Our Mission is to bring affordable technology education to people everywhere in order to help them achieve their dreams and change the world. We transform normal folks into great developers and designers and then we help companies hire them successfully.
We believe in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and we are proud to serve Students of all colors, ages, genders and sexual orientations. Our goal is to have the diversity of our team match the diversity of America.
Come join us and do the best, most meaningful work of your career.