TV and Film Editor at Verge
TV & Film Editor
at Vox Media
We’re looking for a talented editor/writer to run The Verge’s TV/film section. As the TV/film editor, you’ll define what The Verge‘s coverage looks like in a space where things are changing every day. You’ll help readers understand how the streaming business impacts the TV/film that gets made, how it’s distributed, and what it means for the future of the medium. But just as crucially, you’ll be the guiding hand that lets people know what to watch in a world with an overwhelming number of choices.
On a day-to-day basis, this means planning, commissioning, editing business stories, cultural criticism, and news hits; working with a team of reporters and freelancers; and writing the occasional story. You’ll be a part of The Verge newsroom, one that prides itself on its balance of speed and ambition, collaborative energy, and emphasis on inclusivity. A great editor has the patience to develop junior writers, and the strength to push and elevate seasoned ones.
Ideal candidates will come with substantial experience in culture writing/editing and familiarity with the business. They should have honed critical sensibilities for film/TV across genres, ranging from Criterion to Disney+, and be comfortable attending screenings and film festivals. Since The Verge is not primarily a culture publication, the TV/film editor should be excited by the opportunity to bring with them a focused perspective and plan on how to best serve an audience of informed, thoughtful readers.
- Manage the editorial calendar for film & television and focus it on opportunities that will land successfully with The Verge‘s audience
- Work with other editors across our team to find stories at the intersection of technology, science, and entertainment
- Develop and maintain a diverse cast of freelance contributors and constantly seek out new voices to include on The Verge
- Edit stories, and write some yourself — be the player and the coach
- Find creative angles into stories that will make our competitors shake with envy
What you’ll bring:
- Familiarity with the broad film & television calendar and the ability to plan coverage around it
- Skill both in writing and editing the work of others
- Passion for and knowledge of how the entertainment industry works. (Bonus points for people who understand how technology has historically shaped entertainment and continues to do so in unexpected ways)
- A strong work ethic and the ability to operate independently
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About Vox Media:
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!