Technical Writer at Illumina
US – Remote
The primary function of this position is to write user and service documentation for our sequencing solutions portfolio. As a Technical Writer, you are a highly productive writer and a quick learner. You have an eye for detail and consistency, and exhibit unfailing attention to quality construction. Your strong technical skills and aptitude for organizing complex information enable you to pick up and apply new technologies, science, and standards rapidly and well.
- Plan, write, and edit technical documentation for a variety of scientific audiences including researchers, bioinformaticians, clinicians, physicians, patients, and internal field staff.
- Collect data by interviewing specialists, researching written material, attending training and demonstrations, using products, and observing users.
- Work efficiently and accurately in modern XML-based content development systems, adhering to best practices and departmental standards for terminology, content management, and reuse.
- Take photographs to illustrate the documentation and work with an illustrator to convert them to technical drawings.
- Release finished documentation and maintain organized records of all materials, drafts, and previous versions.
- Demonstrate strong domain expertise in modern standards for technical writing, online help, content technology, and user experience.
- Quickly learn and apply new tools, processes, and standards.
- Be adaptable and forward thinking in the face of technological and organizational change.
- Partner and engage with stakeholders across teams and regions, working collaboratively to achieve a quality product.
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree is highly preferred.
- 3+ years of experience as a technical writer in a similar or related industry biotech, healthcare, software, hardware.
- Experience writing product user documentation.
- Understanding of the principles and practices of tech writing, content management, and reuse is preferred.
- Experience with MadCap Flare, XML/DITA, or similar authoring systems is preferred.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in English, attentive to industry standards, and equipped with excellent grammatical and editorial skills.
- Ability to thrive in a very fast-paced environment, and adapt easily to changing project requirements and schedules.
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects from concept to publication under tight deadlines and changing conditions, while also functioning as a collaborative team member.
Concerns regarding COVID-19 continue as positive cases are experienced in the communities in which we operate. Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, Illumina may require proof of COVID vaccination in accordance with local statutory requirements (subject to limited exceptions) beginning November 1, 2021.
At Illumina, we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by cultivating an environment in which everyone contributes to our mission. Built on a strong foundation, Illumina has always been rooted in openness, collaboration, and seeking alternative views and perspectives to propel innovation in genomics. We are proud to confirm a zero-net gap in pay, regardless of gender, ethnicity, or race. We also have several Employee Resource Groups (ERG) that deliver career development experiences, increase cultural awareness, and demonstrate our collective commitment to diversity and inclusion in the communities we live and work. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.