Amara Technical Support And Documentation
Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF) is seeking a creative, self-motivated individual to help with technical support and documentation. In this role you will help users of Amara, a web platform for subtitling and translating online videos.
PCF is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Our flagship initiative, Amara, enables tens of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that would otherwise be inaccessible. Amara is used by organizations like TED, California Academy of Sciences, and Scientific American to engage viewers in hundreds of different languages.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Staff the Amara support desk and help with users’ questions and needs.
- Coordinate support responses with other areas of the organization, including the Product, Platform, and Engineering teams.
- Identify common support questions and issues and create canned responses and/or documentation to provide faster and better support to users.
- Part-time: 10 hours/week (flexible), USA daytime hours
- This position is fully remote
Skills, Traits, and Abilities
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Passionate about helping others; you’re ready to take action and want to make a difference!
- Creative, flexible, open-minded, quick learner
- Enthusiastic, proactive, self-driven
- Excited to work in a highly collaborative, global and diverse team environment
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life. Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We are driven by our mission to foster a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content. Content that can enrich lives, but is not currently available to those who cannot hear or understand the language of the video. We believe a participatory and inclusive world leads to a more understanding and caring society.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society.
How We Collaborate
Amara and PCF is based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works from multiple geographical locations. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact. We are a small team, so we treat flex-time employees as fully integrated members of our team while in the contract stage of Contract to Hire opportunities.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you will find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.