Technical Project Manager- Information Security
Remote or in Office (US Only)
Salary: $110,000 – $160,000
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get public answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. We’re looking for a Technical Project Manager join our team, helping design and our implement information security program.
Stack Overflow Q&A has over 17 million question and answer pairs, sees 50 million unique visitors a month, and has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. Recently, Stack Overflow has launched private communities to thousands of companies who store their private, proprietary data in many different environments. You’ll be working on delivering large projects across multiple product teams that support InfoSec priorities and processes.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. You can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, and community teams, and contributing to small features.
- Next 3 Months: Acquire a deep understanding of our product development processes and begin improving the security story of how we work. You’ll have a particular focus on managing 3rd-party attestation (e.g. SOC 2) projects that build trust with clients and give our products greater reach.
- Next 8 Months: You can expect to have a leadership role in developing the long term roadmap, working alongside the Director of Infosec and all product and engineering teams, that affect the security of Stack Overflow products. You’ll be involved in defining long term security strategy, improving our processes, scheduling roll-outs, and advocating for security best practices.
We’re looking to hire the best person and support fully remote candidates between the PST and EST timezones. We also have offices in Denver and New York if relocating to one of those offices was a preference.
Skills & Requirements:
What you’ll do:
- Help set the project strategy for InfoSec programs and reconcile them with other product team priorities
- Partner with the Director of Information Security in pitching the strategy, and resourcing projects
- Contribute to detailed customer research to understand the core security issues clients care about
- Start with high-level goals and turn them into detailed functional specs, and work with multiple development teams on implementation
- Support go-to-market strategies and sales education to tell our InfoSec story
- Manage complex schedules and roll-out plans
What we want to see:
- Technical education or work history
- Minimum of 4 years as a project or product manager, engineering lead, or equivalent working on InfoSec programs
- Excellent spec-writing skills
- An understanding of the technical implications of what you ask the team to do
- Excellent telecommuting skills. Even if you work from one of our offices, many of our team members are remote
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that’s meta or forum posts, specs, blogging, customer communications etc…)
- Familiarity with Stack Overflow and a drive to make our products better
What we value:
- Servant Leadership: The best managers lead by empowering and inspiring their team to do their best work.
- Collaboration: The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
- Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it. For example, we share our complete engineering salary formula.
- Inclusion: We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and managers who foster an open and inclusive culture.
When you apply… Please include an up-to-date resume, and a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at Stack Overflow.
What you’ll get in return:
- Ability to work remotely, with flexible hours
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance – no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely. We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.