Teaching Assistant in Marketing at Capella University
Title: Teaching Assistant in Marketing
Assistant Faculty are an essential part of creating the optimal learning environment. The University relies on assistant faculty to support instructional faculty by interacting with students in online classrooms that have many students. The successful Assistant Faculty is student focused and able to create and implement various methods of communication and supplemental instruction to support student success. This position works a defined number of hours per week and reports into key Faculty roles within the designated team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Analyze student activity within discussions and assessments and respond appropriately based upon training and input from the lead instructor.
- Assist in managing student communications.
- Escalate unique issues to the lead instructor.
- Assist with grading and providing feedback.
- Monitor students’ engagement levels and provide recommendations on the best approach on how to increase engagement.
- Assist the lead instructor as needed or directed, providing tutoring, live sessions, or other student support.
- Assist the lead instructor as needed or directed with student outreach.
- Assist the lead instructor as needed in developing supplemental support documents, videos, job aids.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with faculty, coaches, and learners.
- Demonstrated effective time management skills.
- Excellent relationship-building, customer service, and problem resolution skills.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail, initiative and follow-through.
- Experience working with a diversity of learning styles.
- Comfortable using technology to facilitate learning.
- Professional experience in the field of study is preferred and may be required dependent on course credentialing requirements.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Online teaching experience preferred.
- From a regionally accredited institution; Master’s degree required. A terminal degree may be required dependent on course credentialing requirements.
Certificates, licenses and registrations:
- Professional certification in discipline specialty (if required dependent on course credentialing requirements).
- Access information using a computer.
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain.
- Effectively cope with stressful situations.
- Good attendance.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong mental acuity.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
Work Location Details:
Many of our positions, including this role, are designed to be remote “home office” settings.
Employees working out of a home office are responsible for providing appropriate and safe office space, office furniture and organization, communication tools, and related items. These include:
- Arranging for high-speed internet connection, printer and a dedicated phone line for business use. Specifics regarding expense coverage and reimbursement vary based on individual position categories. The University will not provide office equipment or on-site set up assistance.
- The environment must be free from distractions and enable a highly productive and professional work environment.
- As with on-site positions, our off-site positions require that the majority of the time will be spent using a telephone, PC and monitors.
- There are minimal lifting requirements unless otherwise noted.
To create an optimal learning environment, the University relies on Assistant Faculty to support instructional Faculty by interacting with students in online classrooms that have a large number of students.
We are currently in search of a passionate [part-time/full-time] Assistant Faculty to support our Online undergraduate level [insert discipline] class for the upcoming [insert quarter] quarter starting [insert date].
NOTE: Applications must include copies of unofficial transcripts to receive full consideration.
- Analyze student activity within discussions and assessments and choose the appropriate responses
- Accurately use the right type of responses based upon training and input from the master instructor
- Assist in managing generic student communications
- Utilize online learning platform (Blackboard) to communicate with students
- Escalate unique issues to the master instructor
- Assist with grading
- Monitor engagement levels and provide recommendations on the best approach on how to increase engagement
- Other duties as assigned
- Adhere to university policies and procedures
- All degrees must be conferred and from an accredited institution to be considered
- Master’s degree required
- Previous teaching experience with adult learners
- Exhibits sound judgment in making decisions
- Ability to lead group discussions
- Ability to keep accurate records
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must have strong computer skills
- Access information using a computer
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain
- Manage potentially stressful situations in a professional and ethical manner
- Strong mental acuity