Tax Accountant at Megaport
- FINANCE – FINANCE
The Tax Accountant will play an integral role in Indirect Tax compliance processes relevant to the national and international operations of a NaaS corporation and also be an essential part of the US federal and state income tax compliance and reporting process. In this capacity, the Specialist will take ownership of the allocated compliance processes with the assistance of software and advisors where required, be responsible for preparing and maintaining supporting documentation and monitoring new requirements. In addition to the US, the Specialist will manage Canadian Indirect Tax processes and assist with FCC obligations. There will also be opportunities to get involved in ad hoc tax projects.
Megaport has transformed the way IT gets connected. We’re global leaders in Network as a Service (NaaS), changing the way businesses reach the cloud. We’re also a leading partner to Amazon, Microsoft, Google, IBM, Oracle, NYSE, and many other leading technology companies. Megaport is a publicly traded company on the Australian Stock Exchange with a market cap exceeding $1.5 Billion. We’re a lean, high-achieving team made up of over 215 members globally. While the company is headquartered in Brisbane, Australia, employees are spread out across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. Staff enjoy an environment that is collaborative, supportive, and fun.
Our Team Culture
Join a team of globally-positioned industry experts that lead by example. We do not compromise our values for commercial gain; we are all custodians of our culture, and the customer is at the centre of everything we do. Our employees are motivated, adaptable, persistent, hard-working, and dynamic. Our culture permeates everything we do and this, in turn with a global vision, forms a commitment to each other, our customers, and shareholders alike.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage Indirect Tax compliance processes including US Sales and Use Tax, US Local Property Tax and Canadian GST/Sales Tax with a focus on automation where possible and reducing reliance on advisors over time.
- Monitor the operation of indirect tax compliance software and ensure that data inputs are complete and accurate.
- Monitor new indirect tax registration requirements and complete as needed, e.g. as new network locations are added. Ensure that a process is in place to ensure compliance going forward for the new locations.
- Compile and analyze data required for accurate and timely submissions.
- Responsible for maintaining strong supporting schedules for all returns submitted in a manner suitable for use in future audit processes in addition to clearly defined process documents for internal and audit use.
- Assist with wider business compliance processes such as telecommunications regulatory payments and filings, e.g. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) compliance obligations and other local telecommunications taxes.
- Assist with state/local income tax and franchise tax compliance processes, including preparation of workpapers supporting state apportionment, completing online payments and extension filings.
- Preparing and maintaining schedules and workpapers required for US Federal Income Tax returns and Canadian Income Tax returns, including fixed asset reconciliations and depreciation schedules.
- Research tax issues as required from time to time and monitor relevant legislation for potential changes in indirect tax compliance requirements.
- There will also be opportunities to get involved in tax planning and structuring projects over time.
What We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years of experience in sales/use taxes, property taxes, FCC compliance including audit processes
- Experience in the NaaS or the wider technology industry is a plus but not a requirement
- Computer skills: advanced Microsoft Excel skills, familiar with ERP solutions (MS Dynamics 365 referred)
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and projects in a proactive manner and produce clear process documentation.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
What we offer
- Creative, fun, and contemporary workspaces, Remote work option
- Motivated team of industry experts and new talent
- Flexible working environments with the ability to do your job from anywhere
- Cutting-edge software to drive efficient communication and collaboration
- Training and development opportunities
- Celebrated success with ‘Legend’ and ‘Kudos’ Awards
- Health and wellness program and full social calendar
- Opportunity to make a difference
All applications will be treated in confidence.
Candidates who meet the selection criteria will be invited to attend an interview
Strictly no Recruitment Agencies please.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!