Surgical Coder II at Mayo Clinic
Surgical Coder II – Remote
Job ID 305011
- Rochester, MN
- Full Time
Why Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic has been ranked the #1 hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, as well as #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. As we work together to put the needs of the patient first, we are also dedicated to our employees, investing in competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit plans – to take care of you and your family, now and in the future. And with continuing education and advancement opportunities at every turn, you can build a long, successful career with Mayo Clinic. You’ll thrive in an environment that supports innovation, is committed to ending racism and supporting diversity, equity and inclusion, and provides the resources you need to succeed.
The Surgical Coder reviews, analyzes, and codes professional/physician medical record documentation to include, but not limited to, medical diagnostic and procedural information for various practices. This coder works collaboratively with surgeons to ensure the accuracy of the code sets on the surgical case.
*This position is 100% remote work. Individual may live anywhere in the US.
**This vacancy is not eligible for sponsorship / we will not sponsor or transfer visas for this position.
During the selection process, you may participate in an OnDemand (pre-recorded) interview that you can complete at your convenience. During the OnDemand interview, a question will appear on your screen, and you will have time to consider each question before responding. You will have the opportunity to re-record your answer to each question – Mayo Clinic will only see the final recording. The complete interview will be reviewed by a Mayo Clinic staff member and you will be notified of next steps.
High School diploma and 6 years of physician/professional/procedural/surgical coding experience OR Associate’s Degree and 4 years of physician/professional/procedural/surgical coding experience required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Knowledge of professional/physician coding rules for specialized surgical professionals. Experience with National Correct Coding Initiative edits (NCCI), National Coverage Determinations (NCD), Local Coverage Determinations (LCD), and Outpatient coding guidelines for official coding and reporting.
- In-depth knowledge of medical terminology, surgical procedures, disease processes, patient health record content and the medical record coding process.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques related to compliant healthcare billing/collections.
- Knowledge of coding and billing requirements for services furnished in a teaching settings.
- Knowledge of coding and billing requirements for provider based billing facilities.
- Ability to work independently in a teleworking environment, to organize/prioritize work, exercise excellent communication skills, is attentive to detail, demonstrate follow through skills and maintain a positive attitude.
License or Certification:
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist – Physician (CCS-P) or a coding credential of a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) required.
$27.41 – $37.01 / hour. Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
Just as our reputation has spread beyond our Minnesota roots, so have our locations. Today, our employees are located at our three major campuses in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, Jacksonville, Florida, Rochester, Minnesota, and at Mayo Clinic Health System campuses throughout Midwestern communities, and at our international locations. Each Mayo Clinic location is a special place where our employees thrive in both their work and personal lives. Learn more about what each unique Mayo Clinic campus has to offer, and where your best fit is.
Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
Want Access to 30,000+ More Remote and Flexible Jobs?
Part-time to full-time,
freelance to employee
More Career Fields
career coaching & more