Software Engineering Manager at Percona
Software Engineering Manager
Type: Remote Full-time
Are you interested in a remote opportunity that allows you to work with different people from all over the world? Does joining a high-growth technology company with a stellar reputation in the open-source space excite you? If you answered yes, read on!
We’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our team and help continue maintaining and improving our Percona Distribution for MySQL by leading and supporting our MySQL Engineering team.
Percona Distribution for MySQL provides the best and most critical enterprise components from the open-source community in a single distribution, designed and tested to work together.
We seek an experienced software engineering manager to support and grow our distributed team. We need someone who has a background in developing efficient processes, ensuring a high pace of delivery and has a demonstrated track record of working across teams as well as with the broader open-source community to ensure that vital information is not lost as complex development requirements span multiple teams.
At Percona, people are our most vital asset, so you should be someone who looks to continually invest in helping them be better every day.
What You Will Do
- Hire and lead a globally distributed, empowered team of 10-12 software developers ranging from experienced to very senior
- Support the Product Management team in collaboratively creating a roadmap and deliverables by reviewing and discussing the priorities and efforts required
- Drive software delivery through championing team velocity, predictability, and accountability
- Develop people through coaching, mentoring, and management support, ensuring team health and individual growth
- Expect to spend at least 25% of your time contributing technically (e.g. supporting the team in reviewing and refining backlogs, code reviews, architectural reviews, etc.)
- Work with engineering teams, product managers and others across team boundaries to maintain high levels of transparency, efficiency, collaboration and set the context with the team so they are empowered and equipped to make great business and engineering informed decisions
- Continually find ways to improve quality, processes and efficiencies through technology and automation
- Ownership of the team’s results, building on the good and taking corrective action on the opportunities
- 3+ years of experience leading and managing development teams
- A cross-team facilitator: collaborating with other teams and figuring out how to get things running more smoothly
- High level of organisation with a proven ability to prioritise, manage, budget, and deliver on time
- Software Development experience is a must! Most components of Percona Distribution for MySQL are written in C/C++, so knowledge of one or both of these programming languages is a big plus
- Experience with deploying and running MySQL and related components
- Knowledgeable about open-source software and development processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in project management with the ability to decompose complicated projects into simple tasks, estimates and manage risks
- Self-directed with the ability to operate independently without needing everyday input
- Maturity to build relationships and operate across the organisation (not locked to only operate in the vertical chain)
What Will Make You Stand Out
- To truly stand out you should be passionate about databases and about leading software development teams. You should be able to point to the obstacles you’ve overcome to build amazing teams who in turn deliver amazing software experiences! Your attitude and aptitude are truly what will get you the role, with your past experiences landing you the interview.
Location: Remote work from home anywhere; however, many of the broader team is in Europe and the Middle East.
Percona is a true remote-only technology organisation where you get to work on a daily basis with colleagues who are based around the world – we have Perconians in more than 50 countries and growing!