Software Engineer for Good
Are you passionate about creating easy-to-use websites? Do you thrive in an environment where you can deploy code to production every day? Do you want to work on a product that actually makes an impact on people’s lives?
GlobalGiving is looking for a Software Engineer for Good to join our small team of developers.
You will be responsible for coding, designing, and maintaining features that inform, inspire, thrill, and connect our users. You’ll have the opportunity to take the lead on new projects and features and see them all the way from a few loosely defined requirements to interface design, implementation, launch, and maintenance.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s input and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
- Multi-task: As a small team, there’s always a lot of exciting things to do. You’ll need to be good at balancing one or two long-term projects, several smaller feature requests, and an urgent bug fix or two. Experience working in a Scrum environment a plus.
- User Experience: Improve the experience of our product for all users—including donors, project partners, corporate partners, and staff—by simplifying processes, questioning existing workflows, and simplifying/improving interfaces.
- Numbers: Review metrics and reports on our website performance to figure out what’s working and what’s not, and what we can do to improve.
- Continuous Improvement: Research and identify new technologies, tools or techniques that improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving’s website or operations/processes. Help us know what we don’t know. We’ll send you to conferences and other professional development opportunities to assist.
- Customer Service: Customer service is not a key focus, but it’s a great way to learn while “wowing” our customers, both internal and external, and performing your share of daily site upkeep and maintenance.
- Motivated Self: Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment while bringing your own sense of humor, desire to change the world, and your passion for <fill in the blank>.
For our team to be a great fit for you, the following qualifications should resonate with you:
- Java programming using sound object-oriented principles. (We can teach you the specific libraries we’re using if you aren’t already familiar with them.)
- A love for shipping software frequently, helping users, and improving upon what you’ve built.
- The ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others’ ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions.
- An ability to translate business requirements into well-designed technical solutions.
- Ability to collaborate with the rest of the team to turn a mockup into a functional, dynamic website that users love.
- A passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving, the vision to help us advance it, and commitment to our core values
The following qualifications are wonderful to have, but are not required:
- Bachelors degree (or higher) in computer science.
- Experience with Java frameworks such as Struts 2, Spring Web, and MyBatis.
- Experience with Python (the secondary language of our stack).
- Experience working with large web systems (>1M lines of code).
- You can link to a website that you’ve built.
- Up-to-date knowledge and ability to apply user interface design and user experience principles.
- Natural proclivity towards building workflow automation and other tools to streamline the development process, solving pain points, and improving the productivity of other developers on the team as well as yourself.
Salary + Benefits
This is a full-time position and reports to our Chief Product Officer. We welcome candidates who want to work in our Washington, D.C. office as well as US-based candidates who will work remotely. Salary range is $90k-$110k, negotiable based on skill and experience.
Benefits include flexible work hours, a family-friendly culture, telecommuting one day a week (if not remote fulltime), a fully loaded MacBook Pro with secondary monitor, a convenient downtown DC location, and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, “Today, my work helped rescue 97 girls from bonded labor in Nepal.” (One of many true stories.) And don’t worry – we’ve also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, and 25 days of paid vacation + 10 holidays.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.