Title: Software Engineer – Varnish
Location: US Offices or Remote
Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Software Engineer – Varnish
The Varnish Systems team maintains software that serves HTTP requests, fetches missing data from customer servers, and caches the response data. We build tools and servers that respond in milliseconds. We index billions of cached objects. We automate decisions that determine where data is cached. Our tools get built to provide data about themselves so that it is clear why things fail. We build and maintain programs that direct 10% of the Internet.
What you’ll do:
You will help us program new features and plan their deployment. You will identify aspects of a plan with scalability problems before it’s built. You will collaborate with your team members through reviews, shared designs, and collaborative debugging. You will aid the Customer Support teams with insights into unusual corner cases. You will make changes that improve the Internet we all use.
What we’re looking for:
We don’t require everything on the list, and likely want things that aren’t on it. If you have experience in things like the following, then you should apply:
- Reading and writing the C language.
- Familiarity with Linux and its programming APIs.
- An understanding of asynchronous IO models.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP networking.
- Comfort in parallel execution environments.
- The Git version control system.
- Experience reading and writing languages other than C. Bonus points for Perl, Python, and Rust.
In addition to the technical specifics, there are some more general characteristics we’re looking for:
- Someone who is comfortable working with constrained resources.
- A familiarity with feature flags and methods for blocking features at runtime.
- People who write software that will be understood by someone else later on (especially during an incident).
- Those with a preference for correctness over performance.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.