Software Developer at A Cloud Guru
- Remote, US
- TEST | ENGINEER | DEPLOY
A Cloud Guru is looking for a Software Developer to join the Product and Engineering team to build out frontend and backend architectures using both current and legacy stacks.The Software Developer will collaborate with a team of awesome engineers utilizing a variety of technologies while owning their individual projects, mentor others, and build towards A Cloud Guru’s long-term vision. The ideal person loves learning new technologies, writing and reading challenging code, and genuinely contributing to A Cloud Guru’s culture of fun, accessible cloud education.
Hello, we’re A Cloud Guru
Our friends call us ACG.
A Cloud Guru was built by engineers for everyone, everywhere. Here, you’ll have the freedom to follow your curiosity. We’re not afraid to just try, because when you’re working with cutting edge technologies, experimentation and trying out new ideas have to be encouraged and celebrated. Our engineers are building the world’s largest (and most awesome) cloud learning platform. Why? Our mission is to teach the world to cloud. Our fun, practical courses have helped over 1.5 million people learn to cloud, and we’re just getting started.
We’re not a training company that just decided to sell training courses. We grew up out of the cloud ecosystem. We were a bunch of cloud engineers who pulled people together to create a training platform. That’s why we’re genuinely passionate about what we create. And we are known for practicing what we preach.
What makes the Product & Technology team awesome…
Learning to cloud means unlocking a world of possibilities for our students. Using the latest tech, we design the tools to teach people cloud faster and better. The team is talented (and a little quirky), and we’re all in it together.
- Cutting-edge tech We’ve built a cloud-first Serverless Architecture with tools like Lambda, API Gateway, GraphQL, ReactJS,
- Founded by engineers Having a CEO who’s also an engineer is nice — he knows the effort it takes to make things awesome.
- We don’t bite We’re friendly, down-to-earth, and collaborative. There are no high-performing jerks and no heroes. Just great teams.
- Hungry and humble We’re dedicated to learning all the things to create the best product possible.
If you’re down to earth and enjoy a laugh while also working hard you’ll love it here. – Joanna, Avocado to Guac Ratio Guru (and Product Manager)
Working here, everyone is so humble. I haven’t seen an ego yet, and it’s very refreshing. It allows me to let the real quirky, sometimes funny, sometimes silly side of me come out and shine. –Kesha, A.I. Music Guru (and Technical Instructor)
You’ll do well at ACG if you’re open to learning and trying new things, and you like to be surrounded by other friendly, passionate and driven people. –Natasja, Makeup Guru (and Software Developer)
As a Software Developer at ACG, you’ll get to:
- Consistentlywrite well tested, readable, secure and accessible code.
- Deliver high quality systems in technologies such as Angular, Ruby-on-Rails, React, PHP and various AWS services
- Mentor individuals, proactively coach teammates and impart knowledge willingly
- Effectively use written, verbal and visual communication to facilitate technical discussion and share ideas
- Participate in an on-call rotation, supporting the teams system in production
- Play an active role in building an awesome team culture
- Contribute to agile ceremonies, offering suggestions in daily stand-ups, retrospectives and other team meetings
- Review pull requests and provide feedback to team members
- Work effectively with established Ruby-on-Rails and Angular architectures, following best practices defined by the team
- Contribute to the ongoing support of product releases in production
- Develop and support build pipelines and infrastructure and own your systems in production
What you bring to the table
We focus on hiring values aligned people, because we believe the right person can learn all the things to be successful in their role. Self-confidence plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so. College degrees aren’t required for any roles, and career gaps or switches are totally welcome.
- Minimum 3 years in commercial software development
- Experience working in full-stack development, ideally using Angular and Ruby-on-Rails
- Experience working with databases, including relational or non-relational varieties
- Experience writing tests and following clean code practices
- Experience pair programming and participating in code reviews
- Exposure to deploying applications in AWS, in services like Lambda, SQS, DynamoDB, S3
- Exposure to functional programming theories or concepts
- Exposure to good documentation practices
We want the people who care about doing a good job. The ones who have the humility and hunger to learn. – Sam Kroonenburg, Co-Founder and CEO
More than a job
Where you work isn’t just a career decision — it’s a life decision. We get it. That’s why we want all of our Gurus to feel a sense of belonging that comes from feeling supported in all areas of their lives. Everyone has family, friends and interests outside of their careers, so we offer perks and benefits to make work, work better for you.
- 4 weeks PTO, plus 10 sick days, and holidays. Whether it’s hiking to a waterfall in Costa Rica or bonding with your couch, we all need downtime. All Gurus get four weeks paid time off, 10 sick days, and enough holiday to make a banker blush.
- Let’s get lunch. Lunches are catered three times per week, and our kitchen stays stocked with a smorgasbord of the team’s most requested snacks and drinks.
- Parking is on us. We have your Downtown parking covered. We offer paid garage parking nearby the office. We also have perks for going green by walking and taking public transit.
- We’ve got you covered. We offer insurance plans that pay for 100% of your medical, dental, and vision, and 80% for your family/dependents.
- Gender-neutral paid parental leave. Expanding your family? We offer 12 weeks of gender-neutral paid parental leave, and reimburse up to $10,000 for eligible adoption expenses.
- $1,000 continuing education budget. All Gurus get $250 a quarter to spend on personal development, and 2 hours each week reserved for learning something new.
The A Cloud Guru team has grown a lot since it was just two brothers with a dream of teaching the world to cloud! We now employ gurus in 30 states of the USA as well as in Australia and the UK. For the time being that’s as far as we can go. We won’t bore you with the details, but setting up the extra operations we would need to employ people in new states or countries is a little bit more expensive than replicating your database in another AZ, if you know what we mean. So as much as we would love to have staff in as many countries as we have students, we are only opening this role to applicants in areas we currently have operations.
If you’re not sure if your US state is included, please still apply! We will let you know if you are in a state that we currently don’t have operations. If anything changes we will reach back out.
What’s the interview process like at ACG?
Applying for a job can feel intimidating and like a full-time job of its own. You shouldn’t have to burn through a week of sick time or all your best out-of-office excuses just to put feelers out for a new career opportunity. We want to be as transparent about the process as possible to help ease your mind. It’s our goal to provide you a fair, efficient interviewing experience that respects you and your time — and to do it all with a sidecar of delight.
Once you submit an application, we’ll review it. If you’re a good fit, you’ll have an initial chat with a recruiter over the phone. A phone interview with a manager typically follows. Depending on your role, you might then be asked to do a little homework (but nothing too time consuming). Then we’ll schedule a Zoom call to meet other members of the team, answer any questions you have, and give you a feel for what it’s really like to work at ACG. If you’re on the fence, just give it a try.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!