Senior UX Researcher at Macmillan Learning
Remote | High-paying
Sr UX Researcher
- Job Category: Technology
- Requisition Number: SRUXR01398
- Macmillan Learning is changing students lives through learning, a great and inspiring responsibility we take seriously. By linking research to learning practice, we strive to design engaging experiences that are not only easy to use, but drive student achievement and help students achieve and exceed their goals.
- Achieve, Macmillan’s new educational platform, helps students and instructors navigate both administrative and learning tasks seamlessly across various educational tools. We are committed to making Achieve the most impactful and dependable component of our instructors teaching strategy.
- The Macmillan Learning UX team is composed of diverse individuals that are ready and willing to tackle tough challenges, driven by a common purpose; to help tomorrow’s leaders learn better today. This shared purpose is what fuels a culture of collaboration amongst teammates, pushing ourselves and others, to be better than we were yesterday.
- We are looking for a Sr. UX Researcher to help guide this transformation of online education. This role, along with their UX Designer counterpart, will be responsible for the entire product life cycle, starting with problem discovery and definition, through conceptual design, testing, and collaboration with our technology teams to implementation. You will work with a team of researchers and coordinators to produce generative and evaluative insights that advise our product vision and delivery. You will partner with UX designers, product managers, learning and impact researchers, and data scientists to turn research into measurable user insights.
- What you will be doing:
- Plan and design user research of all types, both generative and evaluative.
- Drive the end-to-end user research lifecycle for certain projects, including selection of methods that align with research questions and business goals.
- Design and analyze qualitative studies that find opportunities by way of meaningful insights.
- Communicate insights to all levels of the organization, including senior leadership, through writing and presentations.
- Advise designers on research opportunities and best practices at various stages of the product development process.
- Collaborate with partners to understand the impact of user research on product strategy and measure effectiveness of product features.
- Modernize research by making studies and insights easily available across the organization.
- Collaborate with UX leadership to help define our user-research strategy and evolve our research process.
- Collaborate with designers to create student- and instructor- facing enterprise-level learning experiences for both desktop and mobile.
- Helping to shape the vision to transform UX Research for Macmillan Learning across the entire educational ecosystem.
- Leading end-to-end product design initiatives, from early problem discovery through solution design, prototyping, and testing.
- Support technical leads and developers by providing functional clarification and setting expectations with teammates and stakeholders.
- Represent UX on an interdisciplinary core-product team that includes UX designers, product owners, learning science, and software developers.
- Facilitate collaboration amongst core-product teams and stakeholders in order to gain alignment of product, business, and user goals that drive towards shared outcomes.
- Articulate conceptual explorations and rational, both verbally and visually.
- Advocate for prioritization of changes, refinements, and improvements to the user experience.
- Identify opportunities for both incremental and blue-sky innovation.
- Assist in mentoring other researchers and research coordinators.
- What you will bring to the team
- Experience facilitating cross-functional working sessions and/or workshops with peers and partners.
- Articulation of our target markets and their unique needs and circumstances they bring when interacting with our products.
- Exceptional understanding of fundamental research principles.
- High degree of creativity and problem-solving.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills.
- Ability to think and design holistically to create a cohesive and coherent product experience.
- Experience conducting user research, including interviews, usability testing, and writing surveys.
- Basic qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree Required; Master’s Degree (human-centered design, psychology, anthropology, sociology, or similar) preferred.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience performing user research.
- Expertise in unmoderated and moderated studies, and knowledge of basic quantitative methodologies.
- Work samples demonstrating your abilities.
- What will make you stand out from the rest
- Proven track record uncovering, synthesizing, and distributing impactful insights that advised product strategy and decisions.
- Evidence of building shared alignment across departments, disciplines, and teams.
- Ability to distill complex problems into clean and intuitive design solutions.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills.
- Experience in agile software development.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced technical environment.
- Annual Salary Range
- $100,000 – $125,000 + 10% bonus
- Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee’s date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous health benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision) including PPO, HSA and FSA options
- Contributions to your Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Fast-paced, intellectually-challenging professional environment
- And much more!
- Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world’s best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Late Nite Labs, EBI-MAPworks, i<clicker, REEF and Hayden-McNeil.
- We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. You can read more about our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives here.
- The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!