Senior Test Engineer at Cockroach Labs
Title: Senior Test Engineer
- Location: Remote
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB, we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy.
About the Role
CockroachDB helps anyone who needs to scale fast, survive anything, and thrive everywhere. We are looking for test engineers to join our team who are excited about pushing an open-source cloud-native distributed SQL database to its limits and beyond. Working closely with other engineers and product managers on both the cloud and database teams, you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make data easy at global scale.
- Build and maintain the tooling and frameworks for testing a distributed cloud-native distributed SQL database.
- Explore how the performance boundaries of the database are affected by hardware and networking configurations across multiple clouds.
- Develop innovative strategies and research novel approaches in the industry and academic papers for identifying bugs in CockroachDB and CockroachCloud.
- Build and maintain tests that simulate customer workloads.
- Build and maintain the stages of our CD/CI pipeline related to performance, scalability, and overlapping workflows.
- Work with property-based, metamorphic, and randomized testing tools.
- Develop in Go, but if you don’t know it you’ll learn while you’re here.
- Ensure that CockroachDB remains scalable, survivable, and consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
In the first month you will join your engineering team and start to learn about our production systems, software development workflow, and the architecture of CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. We believe that it’s essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology, company, and our culture.
After 3 months you’ll be a fully-fledged member of the test engineering team and comfortable contributing to the testing systems and practices for CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. You will work with sales and our customers to understand how the database responds to specific customer workloads, explore the impact of infrastructure choices on database performance and scale, and will push the database by simulating multiple scenarios simultaneously. You will employ automation, system engineering, and code to scale testing effectively. You will begin to influence our testing strategy and evolve our tooling and practices related to property-based and randomized testing to ensure that CockroachDB is correct and that engineers get fast feedback on the changes they make.
As our team grows you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development and testing for CockroachCloud and CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product and you play a crucial role in making CockroachDB a correct, performant, and scalable database that surpasses our customer’s expectations. We also offer technical training and experienced mentorship to help you learn and grow into whatever you wish it to be.
- A passion for working on complex technical products and have exposure to topics such as distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Experience incorporating a systems thinking approach to testing complicated systems.
- An inquisitive mind and comfortable applying the latest research to industry challenges.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python.
- An understanding of system design.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership including:
Peter Mattis – Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong – VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli’s with his wife and kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!