Senior Software Engineer
Location: Anywhere – World
Type: Full time
Category: Software Engineering
Employee Type: Regular
Job Summary: DataStax powers the Right-Now Enterprise with the always-on, distributed cloud database built on Apache Cassandra and designed for hybrid cloud. We are seeking a talented Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our team.
We are looking for a talented hybrid engineer with a blend of core, distributed systems operations experience and systems-level Java expertise to join our cloud core team. This team works with some of the largest, most complex distributed problems in the world. You will provide operational expertise, workarounds, root-cause analysis, and patches on core database technologies in our flagship product inspired by Apache Cassandra. Past experience with running large-scale distributed systems is required.
We are extremely selective, but the chosen few are those who are energized by the exciting challenges associated with introducing a new, disruptive technology to customers seeking a cloud solution for their database technology needs. The ideal candidate is proactive, self-motivated, autonomous, and takes pride of ownership in their work product. If you are highly energetic, entrepreneurial, technical, and driven to constantly learn new products and technologies, this is the opportunity for you.
Essential Job Functions:
- Key contributor on the Cloud Core back-end
- Participate in and drive general product development for our Cloud product
- Perform regular code reviews
- Help the Test Engineering team define tests and test strategies
- Manage and troubleshoot live DSE clusters and other distributed systems, in both non-production and production environments
- Deep-dive into a complex, distributed code-base to understand and document defects and UX shortcomings
- Provide in-depth feedback, suggestions, and potentially work on patches with other Engineering teams for defects and improvements that come up during cluster management and troubleshooting
- Analyze, research, and develop auto-remediation techniques and operations
- 5+ years software development experience
- 3+ years operational experience on Apache Cassandra or DataStax Enterprise in a devops role
- 3+ years operational experience in Cloud environments such as AWS, Azure, etc.
- Experience writing code in Java, Go, Ruby, and/or other programming languages
- Expert troubleshooting skills with large software deployments and distributed systems
- Deep understanding of the software development life cycle and zero downtime release management
- Familiarity with bug tracking tools, version control tools, build automation tools, test automation tools
- Best practices for standard software development. Understanding of test driven development, proper design, and familiarity with standard computer science approaches.
- Experience with performance profiling and optimization, preferably in a distributed environment
- Strong linux environment / os performance and troubleshooting skills
- Strong network troubleshooting skills
- Working knowledge of ELK and Graphite/Grafana
- Comfortable reading, reviewing, and modifying others’ code
- Experience working remotely a plus
- BS, MS or PhD degree in Computer Science or related major