Senior Software Engineer
Location: Remote US
Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The Firefox Accounts team is looking for a passionate and experienced engineer to help design, build, and maintain our scalable, high availability systems. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of implementation, as well as collaborating with the product, design, QA, and data analysis teams to figure out the best way to expand our capabilities.
Firefox Accounts has millions of users around the globe and powers many of the services at Mozilla. We have ambitious goals and plenty of enthusiasm – come work with us and make an impact.
What you’ll do:
- Write clean, performant, open source, and standards compliant code
- Review code from other team members (as well as get your own code reviewed)
- Maintain effective unit tests and documentation
- Participate in stand-ups, bug triages, retrospectives, and other team meetings
- Make accurate estimates for upcoming work, communicate technical solutions effectively, and report progress
- Work in the open as part of the Mozilla open source project, and engage with Mozilla’s global community
- Be an advocate for the web
What we’re looking for:
- You enjoy working the full stack front to back, inside and out.
- You possess a deep understanding of web technologies (JS, CSS, DOM, HTML)
- You have at least 3 years developing and maintaining robust web products
- You uphold standards for quality and performance by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, creating tests, and maintaining documentation
We value a variety of voices. You don’t need to check every box on this list to apply.
- Experience integrating with payment gateways; International payments a plus
- Experience scaling a platform to millions of users.
- Are comfortable working in a diverse community spanning many regions and timezones
- Experience working with open source projects and collaboration tools
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity by maintaining a safe, open internet while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
A lot of companies say they’re mission-driven. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product the Firefox browser has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust Stack Overflow’s most loved programming language for the last four years and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.