Senior Ruby Engineer at Clearcover
Title: Sr. Ruby Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL or Remote
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What’s a Sr. Ruby Engineer at Clearcover?
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Sr. Ruby Engineer will work with the Product and Engineering team to develop and enhance services which support acquisition, third party integrations, new market launches, claims and insurance product. Additionally, the Sr. Ruby Engineer combines technical expertise with best practices to help the scrum team define technical direction while solving complex business problems. It is the Sr. Ruby Engineer’s job to drive continuous engineering improvement within the scrum team and across the entire SDLC.
What will you do as a Sr. Ruby Engineer?
- Design, build and maintain our backend Ruby application
- Own features end to end while working with your scrum team to ensure success
- Collaborate with the scrum team to solve problems ranging from scalability and performance to architecture and feature development
- Scale, extend, and maintain our cross-functional APIs
What do you have as a Sr. Ruby Engineer?
- Fluency in Ruby and RSpec or similar testing frameworks
- High standards for quality and attention to detail
- A holistic understanding of the full development lifecycle
- The ability to handle ambiguity and transform it into robust software
What other skills will help besides Ruby?
- Fluency in Typescript, Python, Scala and/or Kotlin
- Experience with application performance monitoring
- Experience with scrum fundamentals
- Experience with and the desire to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance!
Did you know that women and minorities are less likely to apply to a position if they don’t match 100% of the job qualifications? Don’t let that be the reason you miss out on this opportunity! We encourage you to apply anyway. Don’t count yourself out!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.