Sr. Principal Legal Counsel
Fridley, Minnesota, United States
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Northridge, California, United States
Santa Rosa, California, United States
North Haven, Connecticut, United States
Careers that Change Lives
This position is a part of the Global New Business Models (“NBM”) & Value-based Healthcare (“VBHC”) Center of Expertise (“COE”). This newly created COE establishes global line of sight to advise Medtronic when it acts in a capacity other than a device manufacturer (NBM) or enters into arrangements that share direct accountability for health care costs and patient outcomes (VBHC). This individual in this role will provide legal advice across Medtronic’s various business units on complex health law matters, including but not limited to fraud and abuse and anti-kickback, and health care compliance issues, including the Sunshine Act.
This preferred location for this position is in Fridley, MN, but telecommute/remote candidates will be considered. This position reports to the Senior Legal Director of the Global New Business Models and Value-based Healthcare Center of Expertise.
A Day in the Life
The individual in this role will work with legal and compliance team members and business partners across business units and geographies to: 1) advise businesses on complex legal and regulatory questions; 2) identify common and conflicting legal issues and positions across the company; 3) contribute to high-level policy decision-making; and 4) align strategic risk across the enterprise. This individual will provide legal advice to help mitigate risks and maintain compliance with health care laws (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid compliance, including reimbursement, anti-kickback/fraud and abuse, medical device licensing, and complex provider relations, etc.). This individual must possess strong legal skills and the ability to interact effectively with a variety of individuals in cross-functional roles in the organization and strong communication skills to ensure complex legal issues can be understood by non-specialist lawyers and by non-lawyers. This role requires a high level of professionalism and responsiveness to stakeholders in a large, dynamic, and fast-paced environment.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Identify, anticipate and help mitigate key legal risks within areas of responsibility
- Serve on a collaborative team of subject matter experts on fraud and abuse and health care compliance issues
- Negotiate and draft contracts and other agreements, as necessary
- Provide day-to-day advice, counsel and training of business units and their lawyers as well as functional groups
- Develop policies, procedures, legal guidance documents, tools and training materials
- Facilitate discussion and reach consensus among multi-functional team members regarding resolution of legal and business issues
- Efficiently manage and drive multiple projects to completion
- May also work with and manage outside counsel on specific projects
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Juris Doctor from nationally recognized law school
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 8 years of attorney experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Licensed to Practice Law
- Experience in counseling on health law compliance issues
- Experience in fraud and abuse and anti-kickback law
Nice to Have
- Exceptional advocacy and negotiating skills
- Medical device industry experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong analytical thinking ability
- Flexibility, adaptability, pragmatism, responsiveness, and collegiality
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Superior common sense and judgment
- Integrity and strong ethical center
- Analytical risk identification, evaluation, and management skills
- Capable of inspiring trust and confidence of client groups
- Ability to work in a matrix environment
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
- The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers.