Senior Payroll Manager at Trevor Project
Role: Senior Manager, Payroll
Reports to: VP, Finance & Administration
Location: This role will be remote in the continental US, Alaska, or Hawaii
Salary Range: $110,000-$120,000
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The Senior Manager, Payroll will be responsible for day to day operations of our US office Payroll of 450 staff members processed on ADP Payroll and Ceridian Payroll systems. They will lead, coach, develop, and oversee a team of up to two payroll accountants to provide outstanding service and support to our operations so we can deliver our critical services to LGBTQ youth.
Who you are
- Experienced. You have a proven track record and progressive experience in payroll with successful experience managing payroll teams. A relevant Bachelor degree, or equivalent experience is required.
- Builder. You’re someone who thinks strategically. You’re excited about the opportunity to take the status quo as just a starting point, then implement best practices and continually innovate.
- Goal-oriented. You set SMART goals that are achievable for you and your team, and then focus on implementing plans for how you’ll exceed them, together.
- Team Management. You have a proven track record of team building, leadership, team and individual mentoring and development, and staff retention.
- Digital savvy. You are a digital-native and enjoy figuring out how to make processes more efficient and effective through the use of technology.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What You’ll Do
- Own day to day payroll operations including processing functions for all employees (system set-up, timesheet collection, time entry, labor reclassifying entries, 403(b) deductions and loans, advance/other deductions, employee tax withholding, garnishments, salary increases, retroactive pay adjustments, direct deposit, etc.).
- Identify and hire the right talent to adequately staff the Payroll team.
- Supervise, lead, train, coach, and develop payroll team members including Senior and Junior accountants.
- Audit and verify the accuracy of biweekly payroll.
- Lead Payroll registrations with various states
- Lead and reconcile Trevor annual W2 with collaboration from Payroll processing firms i.e. ADP and Ceridian Payroll.
- Lead tax filings to various states
- Monthly reconciliation of all Payroll General Ledger accounts
- Build a collaborative relationship with other verticals and external vendors
- Maintain relationship with ADP and Ceridian Payroll
- Monitor, review, and recommend compliance with Trevor financial policies, procedures and controls
- Assist Senior Director, Controller in month-end closing process pertaining to payroll operations
- Support projects, annual and payroll audits
- Support Audits Manager in submission of annual IRS 990 filing
- Other tasks, duties, or special projects as assigned
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance, including coverage for various gender affirmation surgeries (and we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life)
- Flexibility to work from the continental US, Alaska, or Hawaii (we provide the technology, a monthly internet reimbursement, and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people globally every day
The Trevor Project provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. The Trevor Project complies with all applicable laws.