Senior Manager, Program Secretariat at Verra
Senior Manager, Program Secretariat
Program Management Team All Cities, District of Columbia
Location: Remote – Worldwide (working with significant overlap with US and Europe business hours)
With the rapid growth in carbon markets driving a new wave of project development, Verra is seeking a Senior Manager, Program Secretariat to meet growing demand and ensure a project review process that meets stakeholder expectations. The Secretariat is part of the Program Management Team (PMT) where all project reviews are conducted, and the Senior Manager will collaborate closely with the other team members reviewing projects developed under Verra’s certification programs.
A day with Verra’s Program Management Team might include
- Facilitating a focus group discussion with colleagues to identify inefficiencies in the project review process and identify solutions.
- Running a weekly meeting to set Secretariat priorities and troubleshoot priority issues.
- Meeting with the IT department to discuss functionality and enhancements needed in the PMT’s workflow management software.
- Running a training for colleagues on a set of changes to the project review process or program requirements.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading…
- Developing a strategic plan for scaling the project review process for Verra’s programs (VCS, CCB, SD VISta, Plastic), to meet growing demand and ensure a process that is efficient, effective and meets stakeholder expectations.
- Recruiting, managing, and retaining a high-performing Secretariat Team with responsibility for administering the project review process.
- Ensuring continual Improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of the project review process to ensure projects are processed on time and to requisite quality standards.
- Developing, maintaining, and training staff in the use of management procedures, checklists, and software associated with the project review process.
- In collaboration with the IT department, deploying new and upgraded software to streamline and digitize the project review process.
- Managing the review of early-stage projects that request listing on the Verra project pipeline.
- Supporting professional development and promotion within the Secretariat Team, ensuring that the team continues to develop its skills and experience.
- Providing data reports on the project review process for internal and external purposes.
- Representing Verra at relevant industry conferences, workshops, and events.
You bring with you…
- At least seven years of relevant professional experience, with at least three years working for an auditor, standards organization, consultancy or project developer.
- Demonstrated experience managing and improving systems aimed at streamlining processes and/or workflows.
- Experience serving as a supervisor and managing teams.
- Cultural awareness with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- A relevant university degree.
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other UN languages, especially Spanish, French and/or Portuguese, would be an asset.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by
- Building out Verra’s Secretariat Team to ensure effective and efficient handling of project review requests from all Verra’s programs.
- Developing processes that ensure continual improvement of the Program Management Team’s performance.
- Working at the cutting edge of programs that are critical to driving finance towards high-impact activities.
You will know you are successful if…
- Project review processes are streamlined and timelines are reduced.
- Stakeholders note significant improvements in their interactions with Verra related to project reviews.
- The Secretariat Team is recognized as a highly effective by Verra staff and stakeholders.
You will join a team…
- Of leading experts in the climate change mitigation and sustainable development.
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $90,474 $102,838. We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.