Senior Full Stack Engineer at Thorn
Title: Senior Full Stack Engineer
- Location: Remote (US-Based)
Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passion to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
In 2019, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
What You’ll Do
- Define and advocate for best practices in our Typescript codebase
- Work closely with the product manager and engineers to define product requirements
- Own and develop key features of the client application
- Present concepts to various stakeholders, clearly explaining your decisions and how they address real user needs, and incorporate feedback in subsequent iterations
- Regularly connect with other product designers at Thorn to ensure concepts are in-line with overall product design standards and strategies
- Engage in our culture of growth, learning, and knowledge sharing with your fellow engineers
What We’re Looking For
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do
- You have experience and are comfortable working in Typescript
- You have experience taking ideas from wireframes to production in a Node/React stack application
- You have demonstrated ownership of an application and the ability to make architectural tradeoff decisions
- You are comfortable with a fast-paced and fluid environment and can collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders
- You are comfortable triaging issues and debugging and are able and willing to take occasional on-call rotations.
- You can get up to speed quickly and begin to make contributions to a complex codebase in a short time.
- You have a passion for innovation and an aptitude to work in a collaborative environment, can demonstrate empathy and strong advocacy for our users, while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering realities
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully; we’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews
- You have a knack for writing highly performant database queries
- You are deeply invested in documenting decisions and crafting architectural design proposals
- You are motivated to build in ways that enable the work of others and have contributed code to shared tools of some kind
- You have significant experience mentoring/onboarding team members, teaching development skills, and documenting best practices across an engineering organization
- You have served as the lead for a small team
- You have a background or experience in UI Design and can bring fresh vision to what we build.
Technologies We Use
You should have non-trivial experience with at least a few of these technologies, but we’re excited about teaching folks that have the desire and ability to learn the rest.
- React / Node (critical)
- Typescript / GraphQL (preferred/helpful)
- PostgreSQL / Elasticsearch (or similar experience)
- Modern DevOps i.e. Docker/K8s/AWS/Terraform
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!