Senior Employee Relations Manager at Toast, Inc.
Title: Senior Employee Relations Manager
Location: Remote – US
Toast is driven by building the all-in-one restaurant platform that helps restaurants operate their business, increase sales, engage guests, and keep employees happy. Toasts Employee Relations function is responsible for engaging with employees and leaders at critical moments in the employee life cycle to ensure an equitable, inclusive, and respectful experience for all employees consistent with Toasts policies, values, and culture. The Senior Manager, Employee Relations (ER) will support Toast, both in North America and its Global locations, by providing employees, leaders, People Success Partners (more commonly known as HRBPs), and other stakeholders with ER expertise and services, including: leading workplace investigations, policy creation and interpretation, performance management, consultation on medical accommodations, workplace training, organizational change assessment, crisis response, conflict resolution, case data analytics, and other workplace projects impacting the employee experience.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Conduct complex and sensitive workplace investigations with little supervision for North America and Global locations, including determining appropriate investigation strategies, leading witness interviews and document review, and determining findings and recommendations for appropriate resolution. Investigation topics include, for example, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, respect in the workplace, conflicts of interest, and other policy violations and implements appropriate remediation in conjunction with a business, region, or geography.
- Educate, support, and coach employees as they navigate the ER process for cases with increasing complexity, sensitivity, visibility and risk. Objectively provides guidance through the employee relations experience, and acts as a sounding board for employees and managers on how to navigate work and handle themselves post-investigation.
- Draft well-written investigation-related documents, such as leader/People Success Partner talking points, written warnings, and case executive summaries with little supervision.
- Input cases into the ER database case management system accurately and timely.
- Respond to employee complaints with federal, state and local administrative agencies, as needed.
- Manage complex situations related to reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities and leave of absences.
- Promote knowledge and understanding of Company policies and of relevant employment laws through coaching, presentations, and training.
- Develop and update Values in Action and related policies and create and deliver ER training.
- Assist with the data reporting and analytics of ER cases for themes, trends and root causes to provide insights and recommendations for decision making and ER risk prevention.
- Design and recommend interventions and solutions to facilitate an open, inclusive, values-based environment that enables effective employee relations for relevant business, region, or geography.
- Make recommendations for refining, streamlining, and improving tools and their usage to improve future ER processes and investigation documentation needs.
- Oversee more junior Employee Relations team-members, including onboarding new team members, reviewing work, consulting with them on their investigations.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Bachelors Degree with 10+ years Employee Relations or related employment law experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading a wide variety of complex employee investigations and providing employee relations consultations with little supervision.
- Advanced understanding of employment and HR related laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts and practices, including Title VII, wage and hour, ADA, ADAA, and FMLA.
- Excellent decision making, problem solving, critical thinking and root cause/analysis skills.
- Experience managing diversity, equity and inclusion topics.
- Experience working collaboratively, leading and influencing at all levels within the organization, and making decisions while keeping all partners and leaders informed.
- Proven ability to make sound, ethical decisions, handling highly sensitive and confidential matters with compassion, equity, creativity, confidentiality, integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong time management, organization and prioritization skills.
Special Sauce* (Nice to Haves)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)/Society for Human Resources Management-Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or equivalent.
- JD Degree
- Proficiency in the Spanish language
Our Spread* of Total Rewards
We strive to provide competitive compensation and benefits programs that help to attract, retain, and motivate the best and brightest people in our industry. Our total rewards package goes beyond great earnings potential and provides the means to a healthy lifestyle with the flexibility to meet Toasters changing needs. Learn more about our benefits at https://careers.toasttab.com/toast-benefits.
*We love a great bread/food pun
The base salary range for this role is listed below. The starting salary will be determined based on skills and experience. In addition to base salary, our total rewards components include cash compensation (overtime, bonus/commissions if eligible), equity, and benefits.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.