Senior Corporate Counsel at Toptal
Senior Corporate Counsel
We created Toptal to solve an extremely difficult, real-world problem: the talent shortage. Learn more about us and how to join our core team today.
- Commercial Contract Negotiation
- Legal Counsel
- Client Advising
Location: Based in the U.S. (must have passed the bar in a U.S. state or District of Columbia)
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
This is a newly-created, fully-remote, senior-level, in-house legal counsel position that will be primarily responsible for drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts with Toptal’s larger and more sophisticated enterprise clients and vendors. The Senior Corporate Counsel will also provide legal counsel and have compliance advice responsibilities for Toptal’s various functional units in areas such as data privacy (GDPR, CCPA) and OFAC compliance.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated commercial contracting expertise (preferably in the staffing or contingent worker area), substantial experience supporting fast-paced business negotiations, outstanding legal and business acumen, excellent customer service and leadership skills, and a positive, proactive, “can-do” attitude. She or he must be a self-starter and bring her or his expertise to bear to identify, manage, and mitigate risks by a business-practical application of Toptal’s policies, processes, and procedures. The ability to understand risks, balance competing interests, and provide appropriate advice is critical to success for this position. She or he will have significant responsibility for the development and on-going review of relevant processes, guidelines, and procedures, including those relating to Toptal’s commercial contracting practices.
This is an important, client-facing position. Like all roles in Toptal’s legal department, it requires collaboration with others across many functional areas but ultimately will entail direct work more than managing the work of others. It is expected that the Senior Corporate Counsel will cultivate productive relationships with our clients and business partners and foster a customer-centric approach that is simultaneously protective of Toptal’s legal and business interests and reputation.
- Admission to a U.S. State or the District of Columbia bar.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience across both law firm and corporate settings.
- Experience structuring and advising clients on complex transactions, including master service agreements, statements of work, NDAs, licensing agreements, and partnership agreements.
- Strong experience negotiating and drafting commercial contracts deals.
- Experience dealing with global employment law, including independent contracting and HR issues.
- Excellent customer service (internal and external), interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- The ability to quickly master and integrate legal, business, technical, and practical analysis.
- An extremely sharp eye for detail with exceptional business judgment and a knack for coming up with creative solutions.
- The ability to support and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!