Senior Content Editor – Development Editor at Wolters Kluwer
Title: Senior Content Editor – Development Editor
- Location: Philadelphia PA, Baltimore MD, or remote
The Senior Content Editor (Development Editor) is responsible for working with the Associate Director of Content Development, Acquisition Editors, and Digital Product Manager to assess and define product concepts, proposals, and content development plans. The Development Editor will work with associated team members (including the author, subject matter experts, Product Strategy, Design, Production, Technology, and the Acquisition Editors) to develop and deliver high-quality, successful products in multiple formats, including digital and print.
The Senior Content Editor (Development Editor) serves as the product expert for assigned products, interfacing with Editorial Operations, Production, Technology, Marketing, Customer Success, Sales, and Online Product (Technical) Support and supporting their efforts to promote, sell, and support the product.
Location: Philadelphia PA, Baltimore MD, or remote
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Senior Content Editor (Development Editor) manages the product development cycle (including the handoff to the Editorial Operations team for appropriate projects), for all assigned product deliverables, whether delivered as print, digital, or as a for-sale product or ancillary component.
- This position works in conjunction with the Associate Director of Content Development and Acquisition Editors and with authors/subject matter experts, reviewers, vendors, and/or in-house staff to develop the creation of content (including text, art, multimedia, instructional resources, storyboards, wireframes, etc.), as well as the development of content features and digital functionality.
- Collaborates with the Associate Director of Content Development, Acquisition Editors, Digital Product Manager, Marketing Manager, and the market (customers, reviewers, etc.) in product planning and evaluation of art, product features, content design, and schedules.
- Analyzes sample content against the proposal to determine market appropriateness and the ability of authors/subject matter experts to create and revise content in accordance with the plan.
- Creates project budgets and schedules/projects plans in consultation with authors/subject matter experts, Associate Director of Content Development, Acquisition Editors, Digital Product Manager, and Editorial Operations and Product Strategy teams.
- Assists in formulating the Acquisition Editors’ and the Digital Product Manager’s vision and plan for product development. This may include synthesizing the results of the proposal or revision plan into a concise analysis and actionable plans.
- Helps to define the deliverables and the scope of the product(s), including related resources and appropriate ancillary content, influenced by market feedback and as compared to competition.
- As defined by project proposal, analyzes author’s/subject matter expert’s presentation and writing style (e.g., scope, organization, approach, pedagogy, illustrations) and provides direction to ensure end-product will achieve goals.
- Assesses design needs in context of target market and competition and writes design requests for interior and cover designs. In collaboration with team, reviews and provides feedback on design samples. Approves final design.
- Reviews and prepares art manuscript and works with Editorial Operations, Production, and author/subject matter expert to gather, develop, and finalize art program for delivery to production.
- Education: College degree (BA/BS) preferred, or related, relevant experience required
- 5+ years of editorial publishing experience, preferably for the higher education or healthcare markets, including:
- Experience with online product development, including analysis of content requirements and participation wireframes, beta products and GTM for new products
- Experience with print product development
- Experience analyzing proposal reviews and creating review analysis to aid in the development of an effective plan for the creation of new/revised products
- Expertise in Microsoft Office applications, in particular MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Preferred Experience: Experience in academic and/or healthcare publishing
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication, prioritization, and time management skills, with knowledge of editing
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers
- Attention to detail orientation combined with broad conceptual understanding
- Strong interpersonal skills, including interacting in professional/social setting
- Ability to manage project budgets
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications:
- Awareness of competitive issues and market trends affecting the healthcare setting
- Approximately 5 to 10% travel required
- Travel to conferences or visit authors as necessary to support projects.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!