Senior Campaigner: Disinformation at SumOfUs
Senior Campaigner: Disinformation (Remote, Temp, Contract)
SumOfUs is hiring for an experienced digital campaigner! We are looking for someone to join our team and help advance our mission to hold corporations accountable, with a special focus on reforming the actions of corporations driving disinformation at the height of the 2020 elections in the U.S.. This is a full-time, 7 month contracted position beginning in February or March 2020. The role can be undertaken by anyone in a timezone between GMT +1 and GMT -8.
Campaigners are integral members of our team. In this position, you will help to develop and win campaigns that stop big corporations from behaving badly. You will write emails that engage and empower our members across the world to take action and fight back. You will help to raise needed funds to deepen and grow our work and that enable us to make real-world change. We deeply value our partners and you’ll also help to develop collaborative, impactful partnerships.
The ideal candidate has three to five years of strategic campaigning experience, with at least two years in a “digital first” or rapid response environment and at some understanding of the role disinformation plays in our world today. If you are passionate about mobilizing people to challenge some of the world’s largest corporations, then this is the role for you.
Who we are
SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for, and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well, and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to challenge them when they don’t.
In an age of multinational companies that are bigger and richer than some countries, it can be easy to feel powerless. But there is a gap in their defenses. The biggest corporations in the world rely on ordinary people to keep them in business. We are their customers, their employees, and often their investors. When we act together, we can be more powerful than they are. Together, our community of millions act as a global consumer watchdog – running and winning campaigns to hold the biggest companies in the world accountable.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Identify, research and develop strategic campaigns targeting corporations regionally and globally, particularly to stop disinformation as it happens
- Write emails to engage and mobilize our members to take strategic action
- Develop and implement strategic tactics to win campaigns and build our movement
- Generate inspiring interventions that force our targets to act on our members demands
- Manage the project delivery of different tactics, bringing others with you
- Coordinate and build relationships with allies and partners around the world
- Raise money to grow our movement and create real-world impact
- Collaborate with the teams regionally and around the world on global campaigns and fundraising
- Other duties as assigned
We need someone who
We have no formal education requirements – if you can learn and grow with the job, that’s all that matters. This role requires someone who:
- Has a track record of running and winning campaigns using mass mobilization approaches
- Is experienced devising effective campaign strategies to win campaigns against corporate targets, particularly to mobilize citizen-led campaigns focused on corporate actors funding far-right and disinformation content online
- Has experience with digital-first models of campaigning
- Is deeply familiar with the MoveOn/Avaaz/38 Degrees/GetUp model of digital-first campaigning
- Knows how to make news
- Is familiar with using technology as a tool to drive social change
- Is familiar with the US political context, progressive campaigning, and social movements
- Has experience with fundraising from one-off and recurring small donations in integrated fundraising environments
- Is a talented networker and relationship builder
- Is comfortable in fast-moving work environments
- Is an excellent writer and communicator
- Is fluent in written and spoken English (our language of operation)
- Is dedicated to building a more just and sustainable global economy
Big pluses include
We don’t expect someone to have all of these skills – you will likely bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Proficiency in a major world language other than English — especially Spanish
- Experience with shareholder campaigning
- Experience mobilizing members to take real world action through peer-to-peer organizing
- Experience managing a large member email list (100,000+ subscribers)
- Experience working closely with of from communities affected by corporate accountability issues — from indigenous communities to low-wage workers
- Knowledge of and relationships with policy experts and campaigning groups in key issue areas like agribusiness and farming, pesticides, climate, tech, human rights, water privatization, and plastics pollution
- Experience working for a large corporation, especially working closely with decision-makers at multinational corporations in a business/PR/CSR context
- Deep understanding of the operations, structures, regulations, and incentives within a key industry or corporate sector — mining, finance, agriculture, etc.
- Experience using SQL, data, and experimentation tools (e.g. Optimizely), ideally in a campaigning environment
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and your location (for qualified applicants, this position would pay between $35 – $50 USD per hour).
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!