Senior Accountant at Density
Title: Senior Accountant
- Location: Remote – United States
At Density, we build one of the most advanced people sensing systems in the world. Density can tell you how many people are in any room in real-time, with very high degrees of accuracy, and without invading privacy. The result of distributing this platform is lower emissions, less waste, better access, safer buildings, and better-designed cities. It is a long-term pursuit and one we could use your help to achieve.
Our people counting solution requires sophisticated hardware paired with our analytics platform. This makes our accounting function a bit more complicated than you might find at the average hardware or software company. We source all of our hardware components and assemble our sensors in-house, so there’s components to purchase, work-in-process inventory to track, and cost of goods sold to calculate. Having a precise understanding of our margins is critical as we scale. On the software side, there’s subscription revenue recognition to manage for a rapidly growing customer base.
We count over 1 million humans per day. Over the next 18 months, we plan to count 100 million every 24 hours.
Who you are
The Senior Accountant is a newly created role reporting to our Controller. You’ll help us build a strong infrastructure to support growth and scale. You thrive in a start-up environment. Your friends and co-workers describe you as someone who gets it done, and is good-natured, analytical, detail-oriented, and insatiably curious.
You’ll be responsible for day-to-day accounting operations across all aspects of the business. This role will be very hands-on and play an integral part in all aspects of accounting operations and a wide variety of projects as we scale. As a Senior Accountant, you will work closely with the Controller on the month-end close process, process building, reporting, and more.
In this role you will:
- Run the full cycle of the accounts payable process: vendor record management, resolve discrepancies, prepare outgoing payments, and annual 1099 filings.
- Administer our Corporate Credit Card Program including card maintenance, employee education, tracking and processing on a bi-weekly basis.
- Own T&E process for Density. Act as the rst line of defense for expense report accuracy and completeness by providing an initial review of all expense report submissions ensuring adherence to T&E policies. Provide Density’s employees with continuous training on T&E policy.
- Direct, coordinate and help respond to customers’, partners’ and sales’ questions, resolving problems/disputes and reconciling discrepancies in order to expedite collections.
- Maintain master customer and contract files and documents. Review sales order forms and related legal documents (e.g. MSA, PO) for key terms affecting billing and collection, and to identify and communicate other financial, accounting, and legal implications.
- Update and maintain billing and collection forecasts and schedules. Attain all information pertaining to billing and manage the AR Aging report for weekly billing and collection efforts.
Month End Close
- Assist Controller with monthly close process, working cross-functionally to ensure delivery of on time and accurate monthly financial statements which are in compliance with GAAP.
- Responsible for month end close processes for various accounts, including but not limited to: Cash, Prepaid Accounts, Fixed Assets, Accrued Expenses.
- Perform and review Balance Sheet and P&L flux analysis.
- Manage the calculation and filing of required US Sales & Local Tax returns.
- Assist with Inventory accounting and reconciliation.
- Build and maintain best in class processes; help streamline accounting processes via automation, identifying efficiencies and standardization.
- Act as a backup for other areas of G&A team as needed: Supply Chain, HR, Admin etc.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance 3-5 years progressive experience in financial auditing, accounting, finance operations, or related experience
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP
- Comfortable working with new accounting software and strong Excel skills
- Team player, with a positive attitude, who is proactive and accountable and can thrive under pressure
- Strong analytical skills, detail-oriented and ability to multitask
- Shares company values and vision and is excited by the challenge of working in a dynamic environment
The icing on the cake:
- An eye toward design / clean and clear presentation of information
- Experience with Netsuite
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
We are looking for candidates who are strong in several areas and have exposure to or interest in the others. Most of all, we are looking for candidates who see themselves as a meaningful addition to Density’s team and culture.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!