Ruby on Rails Engineer
Want to be part of something different? You can when you work with us.
We are looking for a talented person to come onboard with our engineering department to work from home in the position of a Ruby on Rails Engineer. You’ll take on the challenge of improving the customer experience and overall efficiency of Empire Flippers, working alongside the VP of Engineering James Andrews, the CEO Joe Magnotti and the rest of the engineering team.
This is a huge opportunity for you to work with one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S. and learn the ins and outs of the online business world. Over the last couple of years, our company has seen explosive growth—and there is no sign of it slowing down. In order to keep hitting our goals, including our 2019 goal of $42 million-worth of businesses sold, we need to expand our horizons and improve our customer experience to a point that makes us the de-facto standard for buying and selling online businesses. Your work will help propel the industry forward to new levels not seen before and you’ll be gracefully rewarded for doing so.
Being a location-independent full time position is one of the many benefits – you’ll be free to work anywhere in the world that serves your creativity best, be it the beaches in Thailand, which does have superb 4G connectivity and cheaper cost of living, or in a mountain resort in the Swiss alps – the choice is yours.
Compensation for this position is US$70-90k per annum depending on experience, plus medical insurance and unlimited vacation time.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you, then read on to learn more about our company and how to apply for the position!
What’s Our Story?
Empire Flippers started in 2011. Back then, we were known as the AdSense Flippers, and we were all about building our own niche sites. We would monetize those sites via Google AdSense. Once the sites were making a little money, we would sell them on Flippa for 20x their net monthly profit.
We recorded our entire journey by blogging all about it.
It was a nice little business and soon we built quite a following of people who loved what we were up to. It got to the point where people asked us if we would use our Flippa account to sell their sites. They told us it would sell easier since we had the audience, and they would pay us a percentage of the sale.
So… we said yes.
It wasn’t long before we were selling way more of other people’s sites than our own.
We realized there was something here. Something big.
In 2012, we rebranded to Empire Flippers and became an online business brokerage in our own right. We launched our marketplace and became the “go-to” solution for people wanting to sell their online businesses.
Fast forward to today, we now have the largest brokerage team in the industry. We have staff that is siloed for each part of the selling and buying process — everyone from marketing and sales team members, to vetting and migration experts.
Now, we’re inviting you to become part of our story.
What’s the Opportunity?
Becoming a Rails Engineer makes you a critical part of Empire Flippers. You will learn skills that will last you a lifetime in the online business world.
We’ll teach you the ins and outs of the online business brokerage industry, coming from years of experience. You’ll work on improving the customer journey, which should be flawless, pain free and easy to navigate. For many of our customers it is the first time either buying or selling an online business, which can be an incredibly anxious and confusing moment in their lives. You’ll be helping them directly by providing them with an easy to use interface that just makes sense.
This is a full time position – our company is growing at a fast rate, which means excellent opportunities for personal and career growth. We may ask you to attend conferences too,which can help you network with industry leaders.
What’s the Rails Engineer Position Like?
What’s the Position Like?
The Ruby on Rails Engineer position is vital to the success of our company.
You’ll use your initiative in implementing API’s and integrations to address our business needs along with the rest of the engineering team. Both our clients and staff will be using the software you write. Our small and close knit engineering team currently consists of a UX specialist, 2 frontend engineers, one backend engineer, one WordPress engineer and several QA specialists. You’ll work closely with the team to implement solutions for all departments within Empire Flippers, be it compliance, customer support, sales and migrations. You’ll work closely with the frontend and WordPress engineers to ensure features are implemented correctly to the highest standard, and you’ll work closely with one more backend engineer to ensure scalability, speed, code cleanliness and readability.
The feature set will have already been decided on – it’s your responsibility to plough ahead with the implementation and to ensure the user experience is elevated to unprecedented levels and ultimately, close more deals.
What Skills Do I Need?
We believe in hiring people that are a good fit for us culturally.
A good fit is actually more important to us than the skill set since we will teach you everything you need to know.
- You should have at least 5 good years of experience under your belt, having implemented some complex, data driven applications. Your portfolio speaks louder than your words.
- You should be a ninja with every component of our tech stack. You must have a complete working knowledge of RoR in API mode, SQL, Postgres, Sidekiq, Rspec, Git, Redis.
- Experience working with a wide range of 3rd party integrations. Our platform talks to many 3rd party applications, you should have experience building and maintaining such integrations in a test driven fashion.
- Dev-ops/sysadmin skills. Experience with managing servers, maintaining hosting environments, being responsible for uptime and responsiveness, addressing bottlenecks, ensuring backups are kept safe and sound.
- You need to have immaculate attention to detail. We need to hear you grunting and moaning if something doesn’t quite look or feel right, to the nearest code change and to the nearest hexadecimal color, to the point you become annoying to us. At times other developers may edit your code, you’ll be watching to ensure the code base remains readable, scalable and fast.
- Be a good communicator. It sounds very cliché, but you’ll immerse yourself in almost every department, you’ll be learning problems and presenting solutions, and also overseeing the implementation of those solutions too.
- A self-starter. We need to see some evidence that you’re able to get up every morning, bite the bullet and just get on with it, even if you’ve tried four coffee shops and none have decent wifi. You won’t have eyes looking over your shoulder on a day to day basis, you’ll be working in almost full autonomy, we’ll need to trust you to deliver the goods. We don’t believe in micro-management.
The following skills/experience would be a bonus, but not required:
- React. Our client code is written in React. Being able to navigate the front-end code and patch things up would be a huge bonus.
- PHP/WordPress. We will be interfacing with WordPress significantly, being able to speak the same language would be great.
- Databases. A comprehensive experience working with various types of SQL and noSQL databases would be very useful. MySQL, Postgres, DynamoDB, Cassandra, to name a few.
- Caching. The software we’re building needs to be fast and to remain fast as we scale, both in terms of traffic and database size. Having experience with Memcached, Redis, Varnish or experience with complicated CDN setups with many rules would be a plus.
What’s the Lifestyle Like?
Our company is built on the foundation of travel, remote work, and living life on your own terms.
We’re not looking to put you in a cubicle and waste your time in traffic. You’ll be working hard, playing hard, and learning all about our company and what we stand for during this time.
Apart from meeting us in person every now and then, you’re free to work and live anywhere you’d like and join the new class of digital nomads – we’re homeless but have a passport, debit card and a laptop.
You’ll become friends with people who will be able to give you massive insights into how digital businesses work, how they scale, and, of course, how to invest in them or sell them.
Love It. What’s the Catch?
This isn’t a gap year experience. This is not a temporary contract.
If you’re applying just because you want something to fund your travels before you start seeking out a “serious” job, then you probably shouldn’t apply.
We’re looking for career-minded people who share our vision and see where we’re going. We want you to be part of that vision and help us get there over the long haul.
And while we play hard and sometimes really do work next to the pool all day, we work even harder. Sometimes you will be putting in a 10-12 hour day as business demands arise. You’ll be working weird hours to match other team members time zones, and you’ll sometimes have to face some critical feedback. And if there’s a bug in your code that’s blocking a multi-million dollar deal, expect a phone call at 3am.
You will be expected to perform to our expectations and really help us grow our business to the next level. We’re counting on you.
If you can see yourself growing into a profitable and meaningful career with us and love what we do, we want you to be part of our team.
Details to Keep in Mind
We’re going to start you off slow. You’ll first learn about our company and what each department does; then you will be given some low-level tasks to ease you into the position.
- For the first six months your role will be probationary, during which time your training and performance will be evaluated. Over time, your skills will grow and you’ll be making a lot of decisions on your own. However, you will always have our support and knowledge to lean on. We aren’t going to throw you to the wolves — you’ll be part of a high-functioning team that is here to help wherever we can.
- Joe Magnotti and James Andrews will be reviewing every application. If we think you’re a good fit, we will reach out to you to do a video call interview. After the first interviews are done, our final candidates will be brought back for a final second interview before we make our decision.
- A background check is required before employment