Title: Ruby Engineer
Location: San Francisco or USA Remote
Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, The New York Times and Ticketmaster.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Ruby Application Engineer
An Application Engineer at Fastly is responsible for both improving upon and maintaining the various components that make up our customer-facing Configuration API. The Configuration API and User Interface is one of the features that sets Fastly apart from our competition. We’re looking for applicants who get excited about the prospect of building highly available, customer-facing control systems.
What You’ll Do
- Long-term maintenance of existing applications
- Adding new features to existing applications
- Convert larger existing applications to smaller services
- Handling customer support requests relating to the API
- Integrating with 3rd party services (New Relic, Salesforce, Heroku, etc)
- Develop new features from whiteboard through to production
What We’re Looking For
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. If you have experience and/or interest in SOME of the following, you should apply!
- 4+ years delivering software written in Ruby or Python (we believe if you can already know Python, you can learn Ruby)
- Experience with Rack-based web frameworks (Rails, Sinatra, etc)
- Experience with Ruby testing frameworks (Minitest, RSpec, etc)
- Experience with SQL datastores (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc)
- Working knowledge of Git (and Github)
- Comfortable navigating Unix/Linux systems via terminal
- Understand the HTTP request/response cycle
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong mentoring skills to help other engineers grow
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with Varnish
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We’re a Global Company. Fastly’s home base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of our SF headquarters! An international culture is part of our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.