Public Relations and Content Marketing Specialist at CanIRank
PR & Content Marketing Specialist
- $30k – $45k • No equity
Outgoing and persuasive, you could have been a brilliant salesperson if you weren’t so intellectual… Writing talent and a knack for finding interesting stories hidden in the everyday had you leaning towards journalism, except for that whole “dying industry” thing… Fortunately, there is a niche that offers both strong career potential and a perfect fit for your talents: PR & Content Marketing!
No, we’re not talking about running damage control after MegaCorp’s latest accidental slaughter of dolphins and baby seals. This is PR for SMEs and startups, where the name of the game is to hitch your client’s wagon to creative and interesting stories that journalists want to tell anyway, such as data-driven journalism, research studies, trend pieces, roundups, infographics, customer profiles, etc.
Even if you’re brilliantly creative, success in startup/ SME PR requires an awful lot of hustle: without a Fortune 500 brand in the “From:” field, you’ll have to work a lot harder to even get journalists to open your email, let alone listen to your idea. Building authentic relationships with bloggers, journalists, and other influencers in your client’s industry is a great first step. Being able to leverage emotional intelligence / empathy / behavioral psychology to write a persuasive pitch seals the deal.
If this sounds like the challenge for you, the good news is that you won’t have to go it alone!
As our new PR & Content Marketing Associate, you’ll join a friendly and whip-smart team of digital marketing professionals dedicated to honing our crafts, achieving great results for our clients, and having fun along the way. Your role will entail everything related to outreach and pitching: responding to journalist inquiries, figuring out ways to get clients’ content or products mentioned in websites and media, pitching guest posts and reviews, and collaborating with team members on creative content campaigns that will drive links, social shares, and media mentions.
This is a remote work, flex-time, freelance position. Depending on the task and your skill level, you can earn hourly rates ranging from $18-26 / hr or $25 – $300 / task.
Other benefits include paid training, culture events, performance bonuses, and the opportunity to work with (and learn from) some pretty badass digital marketers!
If you enjoy working with us and clients appreciate your work, there is potential to move into a full-time employee role including a comprehensive benefits package.
- 1-5 years professional work experience, or internships of extraordinary relevance and quality
- Exceptional persuasive-writing ability: your college application essay made the Dean cry, and your status updates win more “likes” than a skateboarding puppy doing the Harlem Shake
- Startup compatibility: you’re comfortable with changing roles, blistering speed, and figuring it out as you go along
- Passion for helping small businesses succeed
- Self-disciplined: you prefer to structure your own tasks, all the better to try out that new hyper-productivity system you read about last weekend
- Virtually extraverted: it’s OK if you’re shy at parties, but on the internet you’re not afraid to speak up, always remembering that there’s a real person on the other side of your monitor, and connecting in an authentic manner whether you’re pitching a TechCrunch writer or helping Milfred find a new web host for her gluten free dog biscuit store.
DEFINITELY APPLY IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ALSO APPLY TO YOU:
- Prior success in a remote startup environment
- Existing blogger or journalist relationships
- Experience in an SME-focused PR, SEO, or Content Marketing Agency
- Tier 1 publication credits to your name
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!