Profile Editor at Toptal
Required skills: Copy Editing, Proofreading, Written Communication, Verbal Communication
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world. We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Would you like to serve as the final quality control gatekeeper as freelance talent is brought into the network and begin the process of engaging with recruiters and clients? The Profile Editing team gathers and defines quality requirements for Toptal profiles, disseminates those requirements to the screening team, and provides copy editing for each and every profile as it passes through the system to ensure that it is linguistically accurate and aligns with the quality guidelines that we maintain.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English!
You will learn Toptal’s current style requirements and apply them when editing Toptal profiles, ensuring that profiles are complete when they are handed off to you and giving them an extraordinary polish before approving them for activation. You will support your talent pool and provide a voice of expertise for all things profile-related. As you experience success, you will take a more active role in the team, coaching high-priority talent through the entire activation process and beyond. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help a small team expand from a passive quality control scope to a proactive hub that internal staff and freelance talent alike can turn to for expertise and mentorship!
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Gain access to and begin to absorb Toptal’s existing style guide for profile editing.
- Meet with the team lead and colleagues and get a feel for the team and company culture.
- Orient yourself to the Profile Editing team’s current activities and future plans.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with recently updated active profiles to apply your style guide knowledge in a -controlled environment.
- Focus on learning vertical-specific jargon for Toptal’s existing verticals and, if -applicable, any upcoming verticals that have been announced.
- Evolve from shadowing senior team members through the editing process to editing new profiles of your own under supervision.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Finish training in profile editing and graduate to unsupervised editing as you integrate fully into editing team activities.
- Contribute actively in team meetings, idea generation sessions, and special projects.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Progress from absorbing information from subject matter experts to providing expertise yourself, actively answering questions on the Community support channels and advising talent on profile optimization.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become a subject matter expert on profile components and assist with the on-boarding of new team members.
- Become a stakeholder and representative of the profile editing team to support relevant projects and initiatives across Toptal.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in English, English writing, linguistics, or related field is a plus.
- CPRW or any other PARW/CC certification, or equivalent, is a plus.
- An acute eye for detail.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Native ability in North American English.
- Good foundational knowledge in English grammar and writing mechanics.
- Ability to edit written English material to a style guide, ideally in a professional or academic setting. Alternatively, a strong ability to follow detailed standard operating procedures.
- Ability to compose an encouraging email or message and to maintain a cool head and a customer-centric attitude.
- Experience with resume writing is a plus
- Knowledge of the jargon and writing patterns of one or more of Toptal’s verticals is a plus.
- Must be an elite individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!