Principal Software Engineer, Originations at Credit Acceptance Corporation
Principal Software Engineer, Originations
job requisition id
Credit Acceptance is proud to be an award-winning company with local and national workplace recognition in multiple categories! Our world-class culture is shaped by dedicated Team Members who share a drive to succeed as professionals and together as a company. A great product, amazing people and our stable financial history have made us one of the largest used car finance companies nationally.
Our Engineering and Analytics Team Members utilize the latest technology to develop, monitor, and maintain complex practices that help optimize our success. Our Team Members value being challenged, are encouraged to express their ideas, and have the flexibility to enjoy work life balance. We build intrinsic value by partnering with all functions of our business to support their success and make strategic business decisions. We focus on professional development and continuous improvement while enjoying a casual work environment and Great Place to Work culture!
Outcomes and Activities:
- This position will work from home; occasional planned travel to an assigned Southfield, Michigan location may be required. However, this position is permitted to work at a Southfield, Michigan office location if requested by the team member.
- Provide thought leadership and build software solutions that deliver high impact business value and deliver customer delight
- Lead the design and implementation of software solutions that are scalable, reliable, and maintainable
- Collaborate with a diverse cross functional team including business partners, Product Managers and designers to define product requirements, direction and clarity
- Drive technical innovation and improvements of the design and architecture of software systems towards leading edge technologies and practices
- Define, develop and drive software engineering best practices
- Become an expert in the business process domain to better support the business and align technologies with the business outcomes
- Work with the engineering leadership team to develop and execute on the company’s technical and business strategy
- Conduct impact analysis to proactively identify impact of a change across multiple applications/systems
- Perform technical due diligence and architectural assessments of third-party technologies and solutions.
- Participate and drive decomposing a monolithic code base to decoupled services
- Experiment and test ideas, validate assumptions against needs, reach conclusions and recommend solutions
- Document standards, best practices, and engineering artifacts so others can easily understand, build and maintain best in class software systems
- Debug the critical problems which arise in production and execute effective solutions within the application and across multiple applications/systems
- Lead continuous learning and process improvement activities to improve design and overall engineering practices
- Grow talent by participating in hiring and mentoring team members
Competencies: The following items detail how you will be successful in this role.
- Development: Develops solutions using standards and best practices.
- Impact and Risk Analysis: Understand the rationale behind and how changes impact the enterprise and/or applications and across the technical/business ecosystem.
- Solution Design: Ability to identify missing or ambiguous requirements. Ability to design at both high and low levels of abstraction, understand complex requirements and translate into understandable solutions. Ability to accurately estimate based on requirements.
- Technical Domain: Have a deep understanding of the technical domain, including the system architecture, design and data of the systems they support and systems to which it interfaces.
- Facilitation Techniques: Organize, support and/or conduct workshops, meetings, presentations specific to the objectives of each, problem to be solve, and needs of the audience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or closely related field of study; or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 10 years of software engineering experience
- Experience in the lead role overseeing technical direction of a team of software engineering talent across multiple software systems
- Expert knowledge of software engineering best practices with experience building complex software engineering products
- Expert understanding and use of multiple object-oriented programming languages and design patterns such as Java
- Extensive experience with building and driving adoption of software engineering best practices
- Strong understanding of distributed systems, cloud computing, and microservices architectures
- Extensive experience in data modeling, design and messaging
- Experience working on mission-critical enterprise class applications
- Demonstrated ability to work with business partners, cross functional team members and coach and mentor experienced team members
- In-depth experience with building application programming interfaces (API) and frameworks in their particular field. Experience in API security, analytics, throttling, caching, logging, request and response modifications
- Well versed in delivery mechanisms such as Agile
- Financial services or FinTech industry experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Architecture and Design: Ability to implement world class solutions that meet the needs of the business and customer, and help deliver growth and innovation.
- Leadership: Be a thought leader and demonstrate leadership to mentor team members, influence change and drive for the business outcome
- Ability to challenge the status quo and influence stakeholders to create innovative solutions
- Be collaborative with other team members, seeking a diversity of thought to meet business outcomes
- Ability to foster strong relationships across the organization
- Bring a strong understanding of relevant and emerging technologies, provide input and coach team members and embed learning and innovation in the day-to-day
- Strong experience and understanding of how to connect the work being done and how it drives business value
- Ability to communicate complex technical information (both verbal and written) to all levels, including senior leadership
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Targeted Compensation: Base salary of $200,000+ with an annual performance bonus plan
Our Company Values:
To be successful in this role, Team Members need to be:
- Positive by maintaining resiliency and focusing on solutions
- Respectful by collaborating and actively listening
- Insightful by cultivating innovation, accumulating business and role specific knowledge, demonstrating self-awareness and making quality decisions
- Direct by effectively communicating and conveying courage
- Earnest by taking accountability, applying feedback and effectively planning and priority setting
- Remain compliant with our policies processes and legal guidelines
- All other duties as assigned
- Attendance as required by department
We understand that your career search may look different than others. Our hiring team wants to make sure that this would be a fit not just for us, but for you long term. If you are actively looking or starting to explore new opportunities, send us your application!
We have great details around our stats, success, history and more. We’re proud of our culture and are happy to share why let’s talk!
Required degrees must have been earned at institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Credit Acceptance is dedicated to providing an inclusive environment for all. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and value a culturally diverse workforce. We believe in ensuring all team members demonstrate mutual respect for one another. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected characteristics like age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
California Residents: Please click here for the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) notice regarding the personal information Credit Acceptance may collect from you.