PHP Drupal Developer (Location flexible, New York City preferred)
TEAM: Information Technology
REPORTS TO: Managing Director – Web Development
LOCATION: Flexible, New York, NY preferred
As the PHP Drupal Developer (Flexible, New York, NY preferred), you will be the lead back end developer for our public-facing web sites and the Drupal CMS that powers them. You will report to the Managing Director of Web Development within Teach For America’s Information Technology team.
As a PHP Drupal Developer and as part of an agile team with talented front end developers, quality assurance experts and business analysts in Marketing and IT, you will design, build and maintain the back end tiers of the digital platforms and user experiences that are at the core of Teach For America’s mission of transforming our society through education reform.
In addition to Drupal and PHP experience, we’re looking for someone with strong written and oral communication skills who can drive solutions to complex problems in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining momentum in the face of obstacles.
If you want to work on exciting projects, be part of a great technical and communications team, share our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness AND wish make a real difference in the lives and futures of kids in our society, here’s how to do it.
There are more than 16 million children growing up in poverty in the U.S., and less than 10 percent of them will graduate from college. These statistics are not a reflection of our children’s potential; we know that children growing up in poverty can and do achieve at the highest levels. Rather, these statistics reflect the systemic lack of access and opportunity for children in low-income communities.
Teach For America’s (TFA) mission is to find, develop, and support a diverse network of leaders committed to expanding opportunity for children from classrooms, schools, and every sector and field that shapes the broader systems in which schools operate. We are seeking individuals who align with our mission, core values and commitment to Diversity Equity & Inclusiveness and are ready to join us in this global movement.
- Continuously improve the user experience of Teach For America’s web properties by achieving excellence in visual design and functionality
- Fully utilize the capabilities of PHP and Drupal to meet our organization’s need to increase the volume of our teacher corps applications and donations and facilitate other support for our organization and our mission
- Collaborate effectively with people from a variety of technical and business disciplines as you support, manage, and lead developers in project work within the product SCRUM team
- Be accountable for production support/emergencies as a point of contact
- Design, build and test technical features/functionality that are dynamic, secure, performant, scalable and maintainable
- Liaise with IT teams and external vendors and solutions providers to Integrate code, third-party solutions and integrations
- Read and write build specifications and documentation
- Partner to define and champion coding standards and best practices, participate in code reviews and pair-programming
- Oversee the maintenance of source control systems, shared repositories, quality checks and code validation
THE MUST HAVES
- 4-6 years of experience in back-end / server-side coding
- Deep Drupal 7 experience including custom theming, key contributed modules, custom Views, Panels, Chaos Tools, and Features
- Experience developing solutions using Drupal 8 and/or migrating to Drupal 8 from previous versions a plus.
- Experience writing automated tests and following Test-Driven Development (TDD) processes
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working on a large website rebuild or re-platform project
- Proficiency in custom module development with the Drupal Core API (Database API, Entity API, Form API, Batch API, Field API, File API)
- Deep expertise in PHP and developing PHP applications using multiple frameworks
- Willingness to work occasional weekend and evening hours
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
Highly collaborative, IT partners with every other team in the organization to create world-class technology solutions that our staff and corps members use to effectively and efficiently pursue our goal of getting all kids in the US access to educational opportunity. We work with some of the largest names in technology, and leverage the latest software, equipment, and expertise. Our team works very hard, but we also have a lot of fun. We enjoy game nights, quarterly trivia outings, and themed potlucks where we get together to eat and explore each other’s cultures and favorite recipes.
By joining staff, you join a network of individuals committed to pursuing equity for all students and developing themselves as professionals in the process. We as an organization value the longevity of our employees and offer a full benefit plan that has proven to be pretty competitive. The salary for this position is also competitive and depends on your prior work experience. Please be advised, you will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process. TFA does not sponsor candidates for work visas for this position.
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
*This job description reflects Teach For America’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.