Paralegal, Equity Administrator at Canva
Paralegal / Equity Administrator
- FINANCE & LEGAL – LEGAL
At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 30 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 2 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
We’re looking for a Paralegal/Equity Administrator to join our team and undertake the best work of their career. The role is part of a close-knit Legal Team team here at Canva, and will provide support to the broader Legal, Finance, Total Rewards and Tax teams on matters relating to equity management, corporate governance and compliance.
This work is challenging and our execution on it is why the team won the award for its category at the 2019 and 2020 Australian Corporate Counsel Awards. You’ll thrive in a fast-moving, fluid environment, and be passionate about implementing change, good processes and procedures in a commercial setting at one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies.
What you’ll do:
- Manage the day-to-day administration of Canva’s global equity incentive program on third-party equity administration platform, Carta
- Ensure all equity plan transactions (including but not limited to stock option grants, exercises, vesting schedule changes and terminations) are processed correctly and in a timely manner
- Work with the Legal, Finance, Total Rewards and People teams to collaborate on and document company initiatives and enforce company-wide policies
- Collaborate with legal counsel to document board consents approving stock option grants and other equity related matters
- Facilitate Canva’s equity education initiatives, including preparing company-wide newsletters, answering FAQs from employees and other stakeholders and presenting to new hires on the mechanics of the Company’s equity incentive plans
- Prepare periodic reports reflecting the current status of the equity incentive plans
- Coordinate with the Finance team on yearly audits relating to equity compensation
- Maintain and audit Canva’s historical and ongoing capitalization records
- Assist legal counsel with securities laws compliance and filing matters
What we’re looking for:
- You’ll have 3+ years of experience working as a paralegal, including 1+ years working as an equity plan administrator at a public or private company
- Certified Equity Professional (CEP) Level 1 preferred
- Experience dealing with the Carta equity management solutions platform preferred
- You’ll have experience managing global equity plans and corporate governance for global organizations, and a desire to learn new jurisdictional requirements when required
- You will have advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- You are excited by the challenge of the role and are keen to develop it and grow it as Canva continues to scale
- You possess strong organizational skills and you have experience working directly with stakeholders inside and outside the legal function
- You have proven your ability to engage others using your excellent oral and written communication skills
- You are resourceful and self-motivated and have exceptional time management and organizational skills
- You can work well in a team but are capable of working autonomously
- You have demonstrated an ability to exercise good judgment under intense pressure
- You have a keen eye for detail
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- This role could be offered on a part-time basis – please talk to us about your circumstances if this is your preference
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfasts and lunches for us each day (stipend available during Covid)
- Professional education allowance
- Free Yoga membership
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, fun and quirky celebrations!
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work. We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn’t just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!