Operations and Development Associate at Rethink Priorities
Operations and Development Associate (Remote)
Remote | Full Time
The effective altruism movement is allocating hundreds of millions of dollars and millions of person hours each year to improve the world. Better research can dramatically improve this allocation. Rethink Priorities is a research organization aimed at uncovering the actionable insights needed to do this. We have founding values — we care about transparency, tractability, short feedback loops, actionability, and impact assessment.
Since the beginning of 2018, we’ve:
- Constructed cost-benefit intervention analysis for farmed animal welfare.
- Conducted polls, surveys, and message testing to better understand how the public thinks about animal welfare. Our work has been used by the Humane Society for the United States, Mercy for Animals, the Humane League, and others.
- Brought to light the important and neglected area of invertebrate welfare.
- Created quantitative existential risk assessments, starting with nuclear war.
- Analyzed the effective altruism movement through the EA Survey and the Local Groups survey.
- And much much more!
We’re backed by The Open Philanthropy Project, Effective Altruism Funds, and other individual donors.
We’re currently seeking an Operations and Development Associate to assist on various operations and development tasks, especially grant writing and reporting, communications, donation processing and tracking, and bookkeeping. This position is full-time, at 40 hours per week, and the wage for this position is between $47,500 to $53,500 annually. This position is remote, and can be completed from the US, the UK, or Canada.
What you’ll do:
- Research compliance requirements, and complete and file compliance paperwork
- Research and develop organizational internal policies
- Assist in onboarding new employees, and help facilitate hiring processes
- Process donations and expenses
- Order supplies, and maintain inventory lists
- Complete basic bookkeeping tasks
- Coordinate travel and lodging for staff for events (after the pandemic)
- Conduct various other operations and administrative tasks as needed
- Oversee organization communications, such as newsletters, and the website
- Develop grant proposals and assist Co-Executive Directors in donor management
- Conduct general development tasks, including reviewing proposals, completing grant reports, and conducting searches for new opportunities for the organization to pursue
Skills you have:
- Knowledge of or experience bookkeeping for a nonprofit or similar organization
- Knowledge of US multi-state employment compliance
- Knowledge of or interest in US charitable solicitation and nonprofit compliance
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Experience and understanding of the Effective Altruism and/or animal advocacy communities
- Highly organized and attentive to details
- Understanding of nonprofit legal structures and operations
- Ability to juggle multiple simultaneous projects and tasks simultaneously
- Ability to switch rapidly between tasks without becoming less productive
- Preferred: Knowledge of UK charity operations and compliance
What we’re offering:
- Contribute to a fast-growing, high impact organization — our research is taken seriously by key decision-makers who influence hundreds of millions of dollars
- Flexible work hours (work on your own schedule)
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance covered 100% by Rethink Priorities
- Flexible work location within the US, Canada, or the UK
- A caring team that looks out for each other, has a lot of fun, and values having a healthy life outside of work
- 10% of your time can be devoted to professional development/learning
- Very low bureaucracy
- We don’t provide snacks but we could mail you a box of Oreos if you want
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!