CTY Online Programs Instructor – Honors Algebra II
Job Req ID: 16041
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today’s brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY’s diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve.
The CTY Online Programs Instructor, Honors Algebra I, II, will mainly be responsible for teaching the online Honors Algebra I, II and Honors Pre-algebra courses, including Problem Solving in Pre-Algebra and Problem Solving in Algebra. As an online math instructor, the individual will be responsible for promptly replying to emails; providing detailed feedback on exams according to a rubric; arranging & holding live review sessions with students and actively checking in on all assigned students; helping to resolve any problems.
Phone calls to students, parents and schools are required. The instructor is the student’s main contact point and he or she ensures that every student has an outstanding learning experience with CTYOnline.
NOTE: This position is not benefits eligible.
NOTE: Multiple positions available. This position is telework eligible.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Moodle, Adobe Connect, Skype and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress, according to a rubric.
- Communicate with students, parents, IT, program administrators and supervisor to resolve any course related issues.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
- Additional duties include assisting with the development of course related materials; updating and developing curriculum; curriculum mapping to core standards; adding or revising assessments; creating and managing documents in LaTeX for any math course as needed. participating in new course development.
- Working closely with program managers on course related issues and working as a team member to provide support to other CTY Online instructors, as necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in mathematics or related field is required; Additional (graduate)education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula.
- Two years of related experience is required, such as instruction or tutoring of middle school students, either through online or classroom instruction.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Must have a computer with broadband Internet access.
- Familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle, Adobe Connect and Skype.
- Ability to quickly learn new software, as needed.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive, proactive, and professional written and spoken communication skills using various technology is critical.
- Must be very student-oriented.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
- Ability to access and transmit information using a computer.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone or Skype and possibly face to face with internal and external audiences and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing duringevents and presentations may be required.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
- The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
Classified Title: CTY DE Instructor
Starting Salary Range: $21.00 – $24.15 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: 10000113-DE Math Science Computer Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers