Managing Editor for Digital Content at Johns Hopkins University
Managing Editor for Digital Content
- Job Req ID: 52996
- Classified Title: Website Designer
- Working Title: Managing Editor for Digital Content
- Role/Level/Range: ATP/04/PC
- Starting Salary Range: $50,700 – $67,000
- Employee group: Full Time
- Schedule: M-F, 8:30-5
- Exempt Status: Exempt
- Department name: 10001159-Ctr for Communication Programs CCP
- Personnel area: School of Public Health
Knowledge SUCCESS (Strengthening Use, Capacity, Collaboration, Exchange, Synthesis, and Sharing) is a five-year global project led by a consortium of partners and funded by USAID’s Office of Population and Reproductive Health to support learning, and create opportunities for collaboration and knowledge exchange, within the family planning and reproductive health community and the emerging threats context (such as COVID-19, Zika, and Ebola).
We use an intentional and systematic approach, called knowledge management, to help programs and organizations working in family planning and reproductive health collect knowledge and information, organize it, connect others to it, and make it easier for people to use. Our approach is guided by behavioral science and design thinking principles in order to make these activities relevant, easy, attractive, and timely.
We are seeking a creative, detail-oriented, self-motivated individual with experience and skills in managing multi-author editorial processes, managing web content (including writing and editing for the web and using content management systems), and web visual style.
Working with the Communications Team Lead and other colleagues, the Managing Editor will coordinate a team of writers and editors; liaise with external authors; manage the editorial schedule; and write, copyedit, and upload content on high-traffic public-facing websites. The Managing Editor will be responsible for generating fresh and engaging content and content initiatives and will assist in shaping site messaging in alignment with our other platforms, including various social media accounts.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborator with exceptional editorial skills as well as strong technical and visual knowledge of the web. She/he/they should be a web expert who is passionate about the web and understands all aspects of the digital experience—from web writing to web design, from user experience to web outreach and marketing —and can easily translate these concepts for non-technical colleagues.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Manage an editorial calendar and coordinate with internal and external writers to identify and define writing assignments; ensure compliance with layout and style standards; and obtain bios, photos, and other information.
- Copy edit and proofread website content before publication to ensure adherence to Knowledge SUCCESS style guide and quality standards.
- Upload content to Knowledge SUCCESS website (which uses the WordPress content management system and the WPBakery page builder) and potentially to other WordPress- and Drupal-based sites.
- Perform ongoing keyword and search engine optimization (SEO) of posts, including writing compelling headlines and excerpts.
- Work with Communications Team Lead and team members to manage other website content development and updates.
- Work with managers, staff, and vendors to execute online initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Managing small teams and workflows using a project management tool such as Airtable, Basecamp, or Asana
- Exceptional writing, grammar, and editing skills
- Strong copy editing and proofreading skills, with demonstrated attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience using WordPress, and preferably WPBakery or other advanced editor
- Digital copywriting or SEO experience strongly preferred
- French fluency a plus
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Four (4) years relevant experience required.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Demonstrated ability to be a creative web storyteller who knows how to create engaging content optimized for search.
- Understands how digital platforms intersect and how they can be used synchronously to support and reinforce content and messaging.
- Deep knowledge of web trends and best practices in digital content.
- Some knowledge of family planning and reproductive health in the international development and humanitarian contexts a plus
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, and web accessibility standards a plus
- Knowledge of cross-platform digital analytics, especially Google Analytics.
- Knowledge of graphic design applications (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) and demonstrated design and graphics experience.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza (“the flu”) season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!