Manager – Technical Writers at Jamf
Title: Manager, Technical Writers
- Location: United States
Who we are:
Jamf, the standard for Apple in the enterprise, extends the legendary Apple experience people love to businesses, schools, and government organizations by simplifying Mac, iPad, iPhone and Apple TV deployment, management and security anytime, anywhere.
We are a group of curious, self-starters with a passion for helping people make sense of technology freeing nurses to care, teachers to teach and businesses to thrive. We take pride in making meaningful impact for tens of thousands of customers around the globe, all the while getting to work with the best Apple infrastructure and security platform in the world. We have over 1,300 employees worldwide with offices in the U.S., Europe, Japan, and Australia.
What you’ll do at Jamf:
At Jamf, we empower people to be their best selves and do their best work. The Manager of Technical Writers is responsible for managing a global team of Technical Writers. In addition, the Manager of Technical Writers is responsible for building an environment which enables individual contributors to frequently deliver, continuously improve, and reach high levels of product documentation quality.
The Manager of Technical Writers will guide writers’ processes, mentor members of the team, and collaborate with leaders of the Technical Communications, Product, and Engineering teams.
- Lead, inspire, and organize a team of Technical Writers to create and maintain top-notch product documentation.
- Consistently communicate with the Technical Writing team to monitor status, gather feedback, and offer overall support to writers as they work to create product documentation that is cohesive, inclusive, and relevant.
- Complete mandatory employee performance evaluations on time.
- Promote the development of employees’ technical writing skill set (i.e., professional development of staff).
- Manage recruiting, hiring, and onboarding of new staff.
- Build and seek opportunities to continuously refine team processes.
- Maintain a knowledge of Jamf products, related technologies, and third-party integration strategies.
- Build strong relationships with leaders across Product and Engineering teams to efficiently implement product documentation.
- Be an active participant in the department’s management team to provide strategic planning and effective communication regarding issues, objectives, initiatives, and performance to the established plan.
- Establish goals for team members that tie into larger team, department, and company goals.
- Actively encourage innovation.
- Travel up to 20% (connect with employees in two US locations and one EMEIA location)
Note: Due to COVID-19, travel on behalf of Jamf has been paused. At such a time in the future when it is safe for employees and customers, as deemed by Jamf leadership, travel will commence. Until then, all meetings are handled remotely using video meeting software.
Skills & Requirements
- 4 year / Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Communication or related field (preferred) (a combination of relevant experience and education may be considered.)
- 5+ years of experience in Technical Writing (Preferred)
- 24 years of experience managing teams (Required)
- Demonstrated experience using modern content management systems, preferably DITA/XML (Preferred)
- Experience documenting, or working with, Enterprise software (Preferred)
- Ability to critically analyze issues and use judgment to make decisions (Required)
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a collaborative team (Required)
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization (Required)
- Expertise in incorporating technical writing work into Agile development processes (Preferred)
This role may be based in Minneapolis, MN, Eau Claire, WI, or remote within the US.
How we help you reach your best potential:
- We are progressive, but laid back. You are free to be you and work how you work best. Here, you manage your own day and your own work style.
- Our people are what make us great, and we protect our people. Jamfs across the globe receive a superior compensation and benefits package.
- Everyone has a voice and everyone can make a difference, our more than 90% employee retention rate agrees!
- Opportunity to make a real and meaningful impact for more than 38,000 global customers with the best Apple device management solution in the world.
- We put people over profits which is why our customers keep coming back to us.
- Ability to support and give back to your community through volunteer paid time off.
- We embrace all perspectives. Our employee led I&D groups encourage employees to make real, actionable differences here at Jamf.
- Ability to grow in your professional career through advancement opportunities, including tuition reimbursement for those obtaining a degree.
- 24 of 25 world’s most valuable brands rely on Jamf to do their best work (as ranked by Forbes).
- Over 100,000 Jamf Nation users, the largest online IT community in the world.
You are the right kind of Jamf if:
You go above and beyond for others, genuine and willing to help, always. You support the team around you, you don’t point fingers or pass blame. You take responsibility for your actions, are open, and respect others. You value different perspectives, in how you work and how you learn. You are naturally inquisitive, like to create and be creative. You are a problem solver, curious and resourceful, self-driven and constantly improving. You roll up your sleeves and dig in. You are excited by not knowing what may lie ahead. You are willing to take risks, try new things, even fail just to do it better next time. You’re not a jerk. You put people first. You are a good person, someone who just wants to do the right thing.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!