Licensure Exam Prep Tutor, Elementary Core Subjects at Relay Graduate School of Education - RGSE
Job Title: Licensure Exam Prep Tutor, Elementary Core Subjects
Location: Flexible within the US
Type: Part-Time Role or Hourly Stipend (4-6 hours per week)
Relay Graduate School of Education seeks an Elementary Core Subjects (ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies) Licensure Exam Prep Tutor to support teacher candidates for educator licensure exams covering elementary education core subjects content and content pedagogy. The Tutor will work closely with Relay’s licensure assessment preparation and advisement teams to support candidates in our educator preparation programs preparing for elementary education licensure exams. This individual will ensure we meet our vision of building a more diverse teacher workforce through the incorporation of a comprehensive teacher licensure support model.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide small (2-5) and mid-size (6-15) group tutoring in a synchronous (live) online format to teacher candidates preparing for a range of elementary core subjects licensure exams (e.g., Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001), NYSTCE Multi-Subject Childhood (221/222/245))
- Create a professional and welcoming environment in group settings, demonstrating respect for candidates’ diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Utilize active listening and questioning strategies to diagnose candidate needs, determine content and pace of tutoring, and monitor progress
- Support candidates’ development of individualized study plans, making appropriate referrals to other study resources as needed
- Guide teacher candidates in cultivating growth mindsets, self-efficacy, and self-directed learning practices as they prepare for their licensure exams
- Become intimately familiar with the elementary education licensure exams you will support with
- Participate in professional development opportunities with Relay’s licensure assessment prep team to improve tutoring skills, grow cultural competencies, and improve upon reflection skills, utilizing feedback and reflection to improve tutoring practices
- Analyze candidate data on exams by subarea or content category, using data to adjust instruction during tutoring as needed
- Ability to tutor in the evenings and Saturdays for 90-minute sessions, 2-3 days/week
- At least 2 years of work experience as a certified elementary teacher (strongly preferred) and/or tutor who has supported candidates preparing for elementary education teacher licensure exams
- Demonstrated knowledge of the content area (e.g., elementary education core subjects content and mathematics pedagogy)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Alignment with Relay’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
Relay prepares teachers and school leaders to teach students of all identities and backgrounds in order to push toward a time when this country no longer faces stark educational inequities. We recruit, develop, support, and retain a diverse staff, faculty, and graduate student body because we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and actively anti-racist institution. We know, and the data supports, that diversity, equity, and inclusion cultivate an environment in which people of all backgrounds can thrive and this is critical to achieving our mission of educational excellence and equity.
To fulfill that commitment, Relay encourages applicants of all backgrounds and identities to apply for roles that align with their own interests and career trajectory. If you meet a majority of the qualifications and see yourself in this role, we would love to see your application!
Relay’s compensation philosophy is to pay competitively for the education nonprofit market and ensure equity across the institution. Compensation for this role is dependent on a number of factors including candidates’ regional cost of labor. The hourly rate for this role is $37.00 – $50.00/hr. The hired candidate can expect to be placed within this range based the cost of labor for the region they live in. Candidates are not eligible for a salary at the high end of this range if they live in a region with a low or medium cost of labor.
Lastly, Relay is striving towards internal pay equity throughout our organization. Because of this, we do not negotiate salary offers.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Relay requires that all staff be fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief). Relay abides by each state’s requirements, and acknowledges those may change over time. If moved forward to the phone screen stage, you will have the chance to ask your recruiter more about this requirement.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.