Library Software Engineer – Ruby at Datadog
We’re on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale trillions of data points per day allowing for seamless collaboration and problem-solving among Dev, Ops and Security teams globally for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
Datadog Application Security Management (ASM) allows customers to manage application security risk with continuous, real-time monitoring of vulnerabilities and threats against your web applications, serverless applications, and APIs in production. Automatically integrated with APM distributed tracing and code-level context, Application Security Management empowers development, operations, and security teams to build and run secure applications in production.
We are looking for a senior software engineer who can help push our open-source Ruby library to the next level. On top of working on the daily life of this open-source project, it includes working on the ASM integrations (HTTP, GraphQL, gRPC…) and security monitoring features such as attack attempts or code vulnerability detection. Come and join us to build amazing open-source software!
At Datadog, we place value in our office culture – the relationships and collaboration it builds and the creativity it brings to the table. We operate as a hybrid workplace to ensure our Datadogs can create a work-life harmony that best fits them.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop mainly in Ruby and interact with projects in C++, Rust, and Python.
- Own the architecture, design and implementation of ASM for Ruby.
- Work closely with the other six ASM library teams through working groups and RFCs.
- Collaborate with the ASM platform teams to make new product ideas happen.
- Ensure that your quality criterias are met thanks to our shared testing platform, health metrics, performance monitoring metrics, etc.
- Write code that instruments thousands of Ruby applications around the world.
- Advocate for and represent Datadog in the Ruby community.
- Learn more on the Ruby internals and its virtual machine.
- Closely collaborate with the Datadog Ruby Guild, including the APM Tracing and Profiling teams, living in the same library.
Who You Are:
- You’re a solid Ruby programmer or polyglot that would have no trouble adjusting to Ruby. For each language you know, you think idiomatically to leverage the best features of the language for a particular problem.
- You have advanced knowledge of garbage collectors, language interpreters and virtual machines, and you’ve dealt with concurrency and parallelism.
- You have a knack for readable, robust, reliable code and put that in practice by writing piles of clean, correct, well-tested, performant, idiomatic code, and you are prepared to do so in Ruby.
- You have library packaging experience.
- You have solid experience with widely used servers (like Puma or Gunicorn), web frameworks (like Rails or Django), background job processors (like Sidekiq or RQ), middlewares and muxers (such as Rack or gorilla/mux), test frameworks (like rspec or pytest), and concurrency features or libraries (like concurrent-ruby or Goroutines).
- You have experience in writing code using advanced programming concepts such as metaprogramming, DSLs, monkey patching, or aspect oriented programming.
- You care about performance, both in regard to time and space, and have experience in optimizing code to that end.
- You keep yourself up to date in library ecosystems and language communities, and you frequently dive into the code of your dependencies to get the best understanding of their behavior.
- You are a great community ambassador and can drive hard technical conversations towards a good solution.
- You want to work in a fast, high growth startup environment.
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a STEM field or equivalent experience.
- You’re a master Ruby programmer: you think in blocks, you trampled GVL limitations many times; you have experience with Rails, Sinatra, Grape, Sidekiq, but you go beyond Ruby on Rails; you have packaged and published gems.
- You keep yourself up-to-date regarding the Ruby language and its library ecosystem and community.
- You have experience with alternative implementations such as JRuby or TruffleRuby, their benefits and tradeoffs, and how they work.
- You have experience interfacing with foreign code, e.g via FFI.
- You have significant experience with C, Rust, Python, Go, Perl, Lua.
- You have experience with code telemetry and introspection.
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That’s okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth:
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Continuous professional development, product training, and career pathing
- Intradepartmental mentor and buddy program for in-house networking
- An inclusive company culture, ability to join our Community Guilds (Datadog employee resource groups)
- Access to Inclusion Talks, our Internal panel discussions
- Free, global mental health benefits for employees and dependents age 6+
- Competitive global benefits
Benefits and Growth listed above may vary based on the country of your employment and the nature of your employment with Datadog.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Here are our Candidate Legal Notices for your reference.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.