Legal Team Lead at Ergeon
Legal Team Lead
We are disrupting the trillion-dollar construction industry with technology, making it possible for almost any profession to operate remotely. Our company is the only startup combining the strengths of technology and remote work to solve the challenges of residential construction.
Unlike most other products and services, hiring a contractor for a home improvement project is very far from a 1-click experience today. Ergeon aims to empower skilled local contractors with human and technology-powered services to make home improvement easy. We take a full-stack approach to create a seamless experience for homeowners, and leverage technology to scale the front & back offices of contractors.
With the belief that everyone has a right to professional growth and respect regardless of their location, we proudly have staff (aka Ergeoneers) in over 40 of countries, with a great score and recommendation rating on Glassdoor. Come join us to make construction friendly and accessible!
Ergeon: [er – g- eon]
Erg = unit of work or energy
Eon = billion years
Ergeon is founded by CS Ph.D. serial entrepreneurs Jiayue (Jenny) He and Odysseas Tstatalos. They picked this name to symbolize their joint passion for using tech to revolutionize work.
Overview of the Role
Reporting directly to the Head of HR, you will work closely with the Compliance, Regulations, AdminOps, and Operations Teams to drive strategy for our legal geographic expansion processes such as state licenses, city registrations, project permits, and customer & subcontractor contracts. Additionally, you may also support decisions and provide guidance around company insurance, review company contracts, track and monitor compliance and advise on legal and compliance issues.
We are looking for someone who is comfortable running a team and building playbooks and lean processes at the ground level.
- Research and create a strategic plan to meet the national compliance needs which vary by state and city
- Ensure state/city licenses and registrations are obtained on time to support geo expansion
- Ensure state and local compliance across customer and sub-contractor contracts pre-geo launch
- Develop scalable processes for city registrations and project permits with TAT that give us a competitive edge
- Serve as a point of contact for escalations when they occur as a bottleneck to expansion
- Additional support for other teams:
- Support Operations team to address any one-off legal issues pertaining to specific customer escalations (e.g. payments, warranty)
- Support the Commercial Sales team to perform contract reviews for large commercial projects
- Support Finance in insurance strategy and broker management as needed
- Lead our compliance and license team through regular feedback and performance management
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum four-year degree (Bachelor’s) degree in Criminal Justice, Law, International Relations, business administration, finance, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years experience in legal or regulatory work
- 2+ year experience leading a team including regular feedback and performance management
- Ability to move a project forward through roadblocks and with diverse teams
- Creative problem-solving skills and proven ability to create scalable processes
- Advanced knowledge of United States law and past experience in legal strategy
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Comfortable with startup environment and creativity/flexibility that may require.
Nice to have
- Advanced knowledge of sub-contractor law and contractor licenses in the United States
- Exposure to compliance is required; in-house compliance experience is preferred
- Prior experience in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment
- Prior experience in the construction industry
- Prior experience working in a remote work environment
Good Laptop setup with Chrome browser
- Minimum of 8GB RAM
- Minimum processor:
- For Intel variants of CPUs:
- Core i3 8000 Series (8th Gen) or higher
- Pentium N5000 series (Quad-core variant) or higher
- Celeron J5000 series or higher (quad-core variant)
- For AMD variants of CPUs:
- Ryzen 3, 3rd generation or higher
- For Intel variants of CPUs:
Stable high-speed internet connection
- At least 5mbps upload and 20 Mbps download
- With a noise cancelling microphone
- 250-300W UPS
- Ability to access up to 1.5GB of data per day during storm outages
Hourly rate between $12.5 – $16 USD, depending on experience and location.
- Your final compensation will depend on your placement on our Career Ladder and will be calculated hourly.
- You’ll be paid weekly through Upwork (www.upwork.com), the platform we choose to hire and pay our Ergeoneers all over the world.
- This position is full-time with expectations of at least 35 hours per week.
- Availability Monday through Friday with some flexibility but often meetings between 8:00am -12:00pm CST.
Ergeon’s benefits and perks for full staff members
Competitive compensation: We invest in people! We are constantly doing worldwide market research in order to offer globally competitive salaries. And we are well funded by VCs.
All-Remote since the beginning: We have a diverse team spread across 40+ countries. We stay connected through the best remote work practices such as flexible work hours, team events, remote happy hours, and by sharing our love of food!
Tech, Wellness & Learning fund: You can have a $400USD bonus per year for software and hardware tools, workplace improvements, fitness-related spending (includes things like yoga classes, Fitbit tracker, new running shoes, gym membership. . .), and books, courses, training, or even attending conferences.
Stock options: All staff is eligible after 6 months of full-time work.
Birthday Paid day off: You can take the exact day, or Friday before if it is on a weekend!
Flexible Paid time off: You can take 12 days after working 6 months, PLUS 2 extra days per year for a maximum of 20 days.
Free Headset Benefit: You can get a noise-canceling headset since your first day working full-time.
Equipment: Laptop replacement after 1 year of full-time work. And every 3 years after that.
Co-Working Fund: Meet in groups of 3+ Ergeon friends and get reimbursed up to USD $20 for coffee, co-working, etc (once per quarter).
Language Classes: here at Ergeon you will have the opportunity to learn or improve a language!
We believe everyone has a right to professional growth and respect, and we want to give our team members meaningful opportunities in their journey in our company.
Thank you for helping us transform the construction industry!
Want Access to 30,000+ More Remote and Flexible Jobs?
Part-time to full-time,
freelance to employee
More Career Fields
career coaching & more