Human Resources Manager/Recruiter
Founded in 2005 by the American Heart Association and the Clinton Foundation, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation pursues a mission of ensuring that all kids grow up in places that help them lead healthy lives – especially children disproportionately affected by poor health. We accomplish this by promoting healthier habits rooted in improved nutrition and greater physical activity, as well as strengthened social and emotional learning and development. In just 13 years, Healthier Generation has made great strides in fighting our nation’s obesity epidemic by taking the battle to where children spend the majority of their waking hours. Children impacted by our work are equipped for long-term success through better health, more energy and engagement in the classroom, and a lifelong approach to wellness.
This is an exciting time to join Healthier Generation as its brand and programmatic work rapidly evolve to address a more comprehensive and holistic approach to children’s health. In addition to utilizing an evidenced based approach to systems change in thousands of schools, businesses and communities nationwide – the organization is advancing new strategies to improve individual and family health and ensure a generation of thriving kids.
The Human Resources Manager leads talent acquisition, compensation planning, performance management, training and facilitation, retention, employee relations, HR policies, programs, and compliance for the organization. This position will contribute hands-on, tactically and strategically to cultivate culture, increase employee engagement, as well as process and organizational improvements. S/he establishes and nurtures relationships across organizational levels and geographies to influence and drive talent initiatives and enhance the overall employee experience.
Essential duties and Responsibilities
- Manage talent acquisition process; work with hiring managers to define accurate job requirements, update job descriptions, post available positions, interview selected candidates, and determine appropriate recruiting strategies.
- Analyze and maintain compensation policies and a pay structure consistent with the organization’s strategic objectives; conduct regular audits and work with Healthier Generation leadership to propose compensation structure changes that best align with business objectives.
- Lead, design, and implement performance management programs and processes that drive employee development and career progression.
- Develop, maintain, and ensure implementation of HR policies, programs and objectives, to ensure compliance with applicable State and Federal employment laws; leads resolution of complaints filed with federal, state, and local including, but not limited to, worker’s compensation claims, unemployment benefit claims, etc.
- Make recommendations for implementation and modification of human resources management policies, procedures and programs that align to and support Healthier Generation strategy and mission.
- Assist in the development and implementation of HR systems and platforms that address quality improvement and the employee experience throughout the organization.
- Work to retain current talent as well as attract outside talent to the organization.
- Evaluate the talent functions of the organization; recommend and implement opportunities for improvements.
- Establish and maintain ongoing effective cross-organization communication programs that encourage a culture of cooperation, teamwork, and open and effective communication at all levels of the organization.
- Provide guidance and coaching to supervisors and managers in maximizing talent engagement and resolving any employee issues.
- Develop and analyze HR metrics to identify success factors and areas of improvement that support decision-making in specified areas.
- Identify training needs and individual development opportunities; work with supervisors and staff-led professional development workgroup to develop and deploy training that is accessible, inclusive, and across different learning styles and methods
- Conduct internal investigations as necessary with the guidance of CHRO and legal counsel.
- Provide oversight and supervision of assigned staff.
- Lead the planning and facilitation of monthly leadership meetings.
- Serve as administrator of HR systems (recruiting and performance management), and as backup to the HR generalist function for the payroll process.
- Serve as co-lead on the Culture Workgroup or sub-workgroup.
- Liaise with Technology and MarComm to support the adoption and utilization of the Virtual Headquarters (intranet site).
- Perform other duties and leadership responsibilities deemed necessary by CHRO
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations on employment laws
- Proven success handling employee performance reviews and establishing or overseeing systems to improve employee performance
- Demonstrated success developing organizational wide diversity and inclusion programs
- Ability to navigate issues related to discipline, investigations, and terminations
- Ability to utilize verbal, written communication and organizational skills to develop and maintain relationships with employees and leadership
- Proven success exerting influence without formal authority
- Ability to present impactful ideas and proposals that drive Healthier Generation talent strategy
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or combination of equivalent education, specialized training, and experience
- PHR or SHRM-CP certification preferred
- 5 years’ experience in a HR generalist background; including experience across the spectrum of human resources competencies including talent acquisition, compensation, leave administration, organizational planning, employee relations, and talent development
- Prior experience coaching, mentoring and supervising a high performing team
- Experience working with third party vendors and consultants to negotiate and administer employee benefits, HR programs, contracts and legal compliance
- Experience working with and developing HR related technology tools including applicant tracking system, employee/manager self-service, company intranets, and other talent related technology based tools
- Experience in a non-profit setting is preferred
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.