Head of Engineering
We want to change millions of students’ lives by enabling people to use data to run great schools. Teachers and school leaders need data to make good decisions for their students, but most of them can’t get that data in any kind of useful, actionable format. Schoolzilla’s team of developers, data visualizers, seasoned educators and K-12 experts have done just that: we’ve made data easy to find, understand, and act on for school districts everywhere. We’ve already helped thousands of schools make better, faster decisions with our platform.
We are a Public Benefit Corporation, and written into our bylaws is our social mission: to enable people to use data to improve educational outcomes for students, especially students from underserved communities. Every day, our team of “Zillas” strive to fully live our values: Driven by Mission, Better Together, Teammates Matter, Equity At The Center, and Intellectual Humilarity. We are based in Oakland, California, but 75% of the team works remotely across the United States.
How You Can Contribute
You are an experienced SaaS Engineering leader, excited about an opportunity to further develop our awesome team of engineers and our data analytics platform, contribute significantly as a member of the executive team, and be part of the success story of how a mission-driven team of Zillas, in partnership with district leaders, enabled data-driven behavior that increased success for more than 5 million students in the United States.
There are many responsibilities for an engineering leader in any organization. We’ve listed them below in priority order to us in the next three to five years, with the four most important areas at the top. You’re likely to be successful at Schoolzilla if this order aligns with your expertise and energy. We are looking forward to meeting you!
- Build an Amazing Team. Aligned with our Teammates Matter value. You will be responsible for developing our engineering team of 13 and recruiting additional values-aligned, technically excellent Zilla Engineers as we grow. You’ll further develop our mentorship and coaching processes, career ladders, and create professional and personal development practices. You care about Zillas thriving personally and professionally.
- Contribute to Company Strategy. Aligned with our Driven by Mission value. You’ll be a key member of the executive team, reporting to Lynzi, the founder/CEO. You’ll participate actively in company-level decisions, bringing your experience in engineering as well as your life experiences as a smart, thoughtful human so that we can make the best decisions possible.
- Lead Technology Strategy. Aligned with our Driven by Mission value. You’ll align our technical strategy to our product and business goals, and make sure we are using the right technologies for the job. You will stay abreast of leading technologies and help others understand how they may benefit the company’s technical direction. You’ll have opportunity for communicating technology strategy to partners, investors, and our board.
- Continually Improve our Development Process. Aligned with our Better Together value. We believe the right processes make us all more effective and happy at work. Our processes have evolved a lot as the company has grown, and they will need to continue to evolve as we scale. Building a great product that truly helps educators serve students better is why we’re here. We want you to get joy from partnering with product management, growth, and customer success to continually shape our development processes to ensure we maintain our effectiveness.
- Strengthen our Values-Driven Culture. Aligned with our Intellectual Humilarity and Equity at the Center value. We want Schoolzilla’s engineering team to be a model of what-could-be when a diverse group of engineers are able to all contribute their best and eagerly acknowledge areas for growth and learning. We look forward to your leadership on deepening our inclusive culture and expanding the diversity of our engineering team, including the racial and gender diversity.
- Maintain Best-in-class Quality and Reliability. Aligned with our Driven by Mission value. As Schoolzilla grows, customers place greater demands on the product. Educators rely on us for timely, accurate, and available data. We’ll look to you to help bring us to the next level by advancing our culture and practices in quality, infrastructure and monitoring, while maintaining our speed of shipping high quality product.
Diversity and inclusion are core to our culture, and we are actively committed to building a more inclusive work environment. If you are a member of an underrepresented group in technology, we strongly encourage you to apply.
You are an ideal candidate if you have…
- Experience recruiting, growing and leveling up an engineering team of 15-30, including training and mentoring new managers and tech leads
- >5 years of experience managing engineers and engineering managers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Life experiences that expand the diversity of the leadership and engineering teams
And if you have any of these nice-to-haves, you’ll be even more set up for success
- Experience leading distributed engineering teams
- Experience in SaaS startups
- Experience in one or more of the following: K-12 education, data analytics and visualization, or data warehousing and ETL