Head of Design
HEADQUARTERS – SAN FRANCISCO, REMOTE US, OR REMOTE UK
Remote, US or Western Europe ideally
As the Head of Design at HashiCorp, you are the leader for all things design, encompassing brand identity, product design, digital design, and design operations. You will build and grow the design organization, and collaborate with other executives to integrate design through an embedded model. You will advocate for design as a key stakeholder, maintain a high standard of work, and drive a consistent implementation of the brand both internally and externally.
HashiCorp is the multi-cloud infrastructure automation company. Our open source software is used by millions of users to provision, secure, connect, and run any infrastructure for any application. The Global 2000 uses our enterprise software to accelerate application delivery and drive innovation through software. We have a strong focus on the practitioner experience and treat it as our “true north.” Our Tao of HashiCorp highlights a workflow focus as being more important than technology, and this impacts deeply how we think about user experience. We are a highly distributed company as well, with employees located around the world. Our culture embraces autonomy and asynchronous work to support a global team.
We’re looking for a Head of Design who is excited about owning and evolving a highly visible brand in the technology community, and making HashiCorp recognized for its dedication to design excellence. The ideal leader is strategic, collaborative, and can scale with HashiCorp. Our brand needs to evolve with the business, and the design leader needs to develop and mentor a team who can scale to the various design challenges across the marketing and product portfolio.
This role would be a Senior Director or VP role, reporting directly to one of the co-founders in the Office of the CTO. This allows the design organization to be outside of engineering and product management, to allow for more effective advocacy of design.
The design team today is more than a dozen individuals who are distributed between engineering and marketing. One of our goals is to create a centralized design function and use an embedded model to work closely with internal customers and partner teams. As we continue to scale, we expect the design team to grow and allow us to further focus on user research, advancing the user experience, refining the brand, and pushing for more consistency across the portfolio.
- Own the overall creative vision and design strategy across HashiCorp
- Drive a consistent implementation of brand and experience principles across products, digital properties, and marketing collateral
- Ensure a high bar for all creative delivery
- Grow the team and recruit design talent
- Define a career path and help people identity growth opportunities
- Provide mentorship to the design organization and build a world-class team
- Collaborate with other functional leaders to embed design in marketing and engineering teams
- Advocate for design as a stakeholder and nurture a design-oriented culture
- Communicate brand strategy and major changes to key stakeholders
- Drive improvements to the overall design process and scale delivery
Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of experience in design leadership role. Experience designing for developer tools/platforms or at user-focused technology company a plus.
- 5+ years of managing designers
- Experience leading teams and recruiting designers
- Experience crafting and managing a large brand
- Real-world experience in a variety of functional areas including brand leadership, product design, and marketing
- Experience with remote teams preferred but not required
Attributes we look for:
- Empathy for end-users and consumers
- Humility and a learning mindset
- Listening to understand
- Explain complex ideas simply
- Written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Responsible and takes ownership overwork
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-MM1