Head of Data Science, Insights and Analytics at Medium Corporation
Head of Data Science, Insights & Analytics
- NEW YORK, SAN FRANCISCO, OR REMOTE W/US
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Data Science and Business Analysis are two central teams responsible for gathering and translating data into insights that improve Medium for our readers, writers, and company, by enabling insights-driven decision making.
We are looking for a Data Science leader that empowers others to make creative and strategic decisions. You will build teams, tools, and processes that remove barriers to entry and empower others to do analysis and make smarter decisions. Our definition of tools is wide. It can be anything from a tool that lets us run prescriptive modeling on reader retention, to a thinking framework around how to determine if a story is of high quality or not.
The role reports directly to the COO, and together with him, you will help the entire executive team continue to deepen understanding of opportunities in our business, and create strategies and tactics to capture those opportunities, across all Departments.
What will you do?
- Build and be responsible for the Data Science and Business Analysis organizations at Medium
- Champion a culture of data informed decision-making, hypothesis-driven experimentation, and in doing so you will be responsible for the practices of data collection, management and use
- Identify and construct the metrics to measure our objectives, build data pipelines, support Looker integration, and craft dashboards to glean insights for executives, working groups and the company at large
- Educate partners and make strategic recommendations where needed, creating clarity about priorities and appropriate resource allocation along the way
- Be the gatekeeper and guide of how we measure and understand our sophisticated system; you and your team will share a “state of the system” presentation every other week, and frequently publish insights on Medium to keep the company engaged and informed
- Work with a broad range of cross-functional leaders in engineering, product, design, editorial, finance and the executive team to understand how our readers and writers interact with our products and where the major opportunities for growth are. Together, you and your team will help the company and its departments define priorities and turn analysis into recommendations and action that lead to continued growth rates.
Who you are:
- A forward-thinking individual with a growth plan for the Data Science team and Analytics.
- Committed to building diverse and inclusive organizations; a facilitator who encourages voices from all sides and backgrounds
- Tenacious leader with a strong desire to develop and hire amazing managers and teams.
- Deep understanding of business modeling and how data science informs business decisions
- Strong customer focus and the ability to communicate complex or challenging messages effectively to a variety of audiences
- You have a desire to build a team culture that balances practicality with rigor, skepticism with optimism, modeling data-driven decision making for all of Medium
- A coach, crafting multi-disciplinary teams to make smart timely decisions.
- You are a listener and a teacher who can help others define the best way to get answers to their priority business challenges
- Deep technical expertise in Data Science, Product and Business Analysis or related fields.
- Recognized leader with over 10 years of successful Data Science and/or analytical team management in dynamic start up growth environments (ideally tech / media companies)
- You have the ability to instill a user-focused attitude within the data science organization, making sure we deeply understand our users, experiment and validate hypotheses before building
- Executive-level presence and decision making experience
- Experience balancing the demands and expectations of a broad and diverse set of partners, and have worked collaboratively at multiple levels of the organization to get things done
- Strong recruiting and people management skills, as well as experience mentoring teams and managers to high performance
- Ability to articulate a compelling vision for the future of data science, the trends within Medium’s user model, and the skills to guide the team to execute on this vision
- Expert-level communication and collaboration skills; you model behavior by leading by example through and resolving inter-team conflict
- Lead within a lean, highly effective organization, making strategic trade-offs, and prioritize effectively
Interested? We would love to hear from you.
This position is based in San Francisco. At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!