Head of Commercial, Food Ingredients at Perfect Day
Title: Head of Commercial, Food Ingredients
It’s a Perfect Day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we’re doing just that.
Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
The Head of Commercial, Food Ingredients is responsible for all aspects of the food ingredients commercial business including sales and customer service, marketing, and product strategy. This role will own the development and execution of the overall business unit commercial strategy.
- Develop and drive the execution of short- and long-term strategic plans to capitalize on strategic revenue opportunities.
- Build and develop a highly skilled and motivated team of business development, marketing and sales professionals; set clear KPI’s and goals for staff that are aligned with targets and requirements and assess staff performance on an ongoing basis.
- Contribute significantly as a member of the ELT; develop and foster close and trusting working relationships with each of the ELT members.
- Manage customer relationships, satisfaction, and retention; ensure that each customer is supported in a manner that is suitable for their needs.
- Analyze activity within the industry, conduct market research, identify emerging market trends and introduce marketing strategies to develop the best and most effective business plans.
- Interface with development, operations, and all other departments necessary to ensure a seamless process, including ensuring that product meets customers’ needs, is received as promised, and is of the highest quality.
- Assist in the development of budgets and other financial systems within the company.
- Lead strategic commercialization initiatives, including oversight of the onboarding of new customers and managing customer start-ups.
- Generate leads for new business and build the overall customer database.
- Create executive-level sales presentations, develop sales proposals, manage complex negotiations, and close deals.
- Attend tradeshows to gather market intelligence.
- Define sales objectives; develop and implement sales and marketing plans and processes to generate sales and lead to higher profitability.
- Outline and manage forecasts and budgets, set quarterly and annual sales goals, and ensure that projects and accounts are managed cost-effectively to adhere to the Company’s financial objectives in the short, medium, and long-term.
- Direct and oversee sales, product management and marketing team initiatives.
- Travel frequently to visit customers and prospects and close strategic opportunities.
- Managing Change: The ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness.
- Oral Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others.
- Written Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in business writing.
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Analytical Thinking: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Team Leadership
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communication, food science, related field, or commensurate experience required.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience selling dairy products. A proven track record of demonstrated success in achieving incremental product placement resulting from specific initiatives.
- Master’s degree or additional certification in related fields.(Preferred)
- Experience in product marketing in a B2B setting, ideally having led a marketing function.
- Basic understanding of culinary and/or R&D use and application of dairy, appetizers, RTM, RTD, Bakery, confectionary food systems.
- Customer centric, business forward attitude with fluency to interact with chefs, marketers, purchasers, scientists, and leadership teams simultaneously.
- Experience using syndicated data to determine customer needs and establish the most effective pricing and promotional activities that will increase sales and market share for the company and its customers.
- Knowledge regarding Project Management, and experience with setting up and managing projects in a complex, fast-moving environment.
- Knowledge regarding relationship management, experience and mindset to work with partners in building initiatives that deliver on goals.
- Travel approximately 50% domestically and internationally
It’s a Perfect Day to change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!