Growth Lead – Data Lead – Head of Data at Gatsby
Now Hiring: Growth Lead / Data Lead / Head of Data
Join us in our mission to make website development fun by making it simple
We are looking for a growth / data lead to help us identify key bottlenecks and areas for growth across open source and commercial.
Named as a Rising Star on the 2019 Forbes 100 Cloud List, Gatsby has quickly grown to be one of the largest and most exciting open source projects on the web. We’re a modern website framework that builds performance into every website by leveraging the latest web technologies. Create blazing fast, compelling apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include transparency (we work in public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
Details of the Role:
- Type of Work: Full-time employee
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+4)
- Engineering Level: Staff (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Why we’re hiring:
Gatsby isn’t just an open-source project — it’s an increasingly complex engine of flywheels and funnels. From organic word of mouth and user content growing Gatsby’s open-source usage, to the 2.5k+ developers contributing to core and building plugins, to usage of the workflows enabled by each of these funnels. We need someone who sees the world through numbers and can work with product and engineering teams, as well as our sales and marketing organizations, to help accelerate open-source usage and commercial business.
Why this is interesting:
Tens of thousands of developers use Gatsby every month, and we need to figure out how to quantify their behavior & help us encourage more of it. This is unusually tricky; analyzing user behavior is challenging as users writing code is a much higher-dimension space than user interactions with a typical SaaS application.
Other interesting problems: figuring out how anonymous open source users are converting into Gatsby Cloud users, tying usage into community engagement and understanding patterns there over time, teasing out key signals that an open source user will deepen their engagement, or key purchasing signals for Gatsby Cloud.
If you’re looking for a simple analysis role, this isn’t it; if you’re looking to wrestle with extremely fascinating, knotty analytics (and sometimes product) questions, read on.
What you’ll do on a day-to-day basis:
Depending on the day, you’ll:
- Measure business performance, develop core metrics and create dashboards to track and understand them.
- Perform deep analyses and build models to understand customer behavior, and extract key insights that impact product decisions.
- Synthesize data learnings into compelling stories and communicate them throughout Gatsby
- Act as a strategic partner to product and engineering leaders to help prioritize opportunities and increase user retention across both our open-source and commercial products
- Work with marketing & documentation teams to help solidify the discovery, onboarding, and learning process.
- Work with sales & marketing to optimize lead flow.
- Work with the broader Data team to find ways to scale our insights through better systems and automation.
Experience you should have:
- Experience in data analyses using SQL.
- Understanding of statistical concepts and experience in applying them.
- An intuitive sense for numbers
- Love for unusual, knotty, and tricky quantitative problems.
- Experience in data science in a fast-moving environment, ideally a startup.
- Strong ability to communicate meaty analyses with smart, less-quantitative folks.
- Interaction with sales & marketing funnels and systems, preferably in a SaaS company.
Experience it would be nice if you had, but isn’t required:
- Led data at a startup before. This would be nice but is not in any way required for this position.
The best parts of this job:
- A constant stream of new and interesting problems
- One of the most cross-functional roles in the organization
- You’ll be working in a safe, open environment of talented engineers who have a broad range of experience.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web — and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
The worst parts of this job:
- The constant stream of new (and interesting) problems
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- Skip the commute with remote work
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Equal Opportunity Statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.
Sign up for Daily Remote Job Alerts!