Financial Planner at Betterment
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The Financial Planning Team at Betterment is the face of the company for our higher balance customers. As one of our Financial Planners, you are a salaried fiduciary that focuses on delivering goals-based financial advice.
You put the customer at the center of every interaction and decision. You love interacting with people, and are an educator at heart. You are also a master at the art of analogy and can explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways.
In this role, you will be joining a tight-knit team that is an integral part of the organization.
This role is remote eligible. Below we’ve reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position in locations with city or state requirements. For those located elsewhere, the actual compensation offered will be based on candidate experience and geographic location. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, Washington D.C. & Orange County, CA: $75,000 – $100,000
- Remote Tri-State and Other locations: $63,750 – $90,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Conduct personal consultations (prep, meeting & followup) with customers in our hybrid advice offerings. Topics include investments, cash flow, retirement and taxes, and more.
- Guide customers on how to use our tools and strategies in a way that best applies to their personal situation.
- Deliver an above-and-beyond customer experience through multiple channels including phone, email, and screen share.
- Troubleshoot customer issues and concerns, investigating why they happened, and communicating with multiple teams to find rapid resolutions.
- Share the voice of the customers to the broader company, offering insights to all areas of the business to help build a better product and improve company processes (e.g., website, FAQ, UI/UX, back office procedures, etc.).
- Act as an external representative of our company, offering your knowledge to various media outlets, webinars, interview opportunities and educational articles.
What we’re looking for
- Passion for working directly with customers
- 2-5 years of previous experience with customer/prospect-facing meetings
- CFP designation
- Highly proficient in common wealth management strategies for mass-affluent and high net worth individuals.
- Comfortable working in a team-based environment
- Ability to build trust and communicate complex concepts clearly
- Tech savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple systems simultaneously to respond to customer inquiries (CRM, portfolio manager, and other internal tools)
- Creative, with a breadth of interests, and an intrinsic initiative to learn new things
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people’s lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we’re at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language – CA Applicants ONLY
We collect and store personal information for the purposes of candidate tracking (for this role and future opportunities). The information you provide in the course of completing your application will be kept for up to 24 months. We use tools provided by third-party service providers but do not share candidate information for any purpose other than for recruiting. To access the data that is collected, request deletion or to make updates to your candidate profile, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.